Makoto Ueda (上田 真 Ueda Makoto, born 1931), professor emeritus of Japanese literature at Stanford University, is an author of numerous books about Japanese literature, and in particular Japanese poetry. He earned a Ph.D. in comparative literature in 1961.
- The Old Pine Tree (1962)
- Literary and Art Theories in Japan (1967)
- Matsuo Bashō: The Master Haiku Poet (1970)
- Modern Japanese Haiku, an Anthology (1976)
- Modern Japanese Writers and the Nature of Literature (1976)
- Explorations: Essays in Comparative Literature (1986)
- Bashō and His Interpreters: Selected Hokku With Commentary (1992)
- Modern Japanese Tanka (1996)
- Modern Japanese Writers and the Nature of Literature (1996)
- The Path of Flowering Thorn: The Life and Poetry of Yosa Buson (1998).
- Light Verse from the Floating World: An Anthology of Premodern Japanese Senryu (2000)
- Far Beyond the Field: Haiku by Japanese Women (2003)
- Dew on the Grass: The Life and Poetry of Kobayashi Issa (2004)
- Mother of Dreams: Portrayals of Women in Modern Japanese Fiction (2004)