Maktab Sabah, Kota Kinabalu
|Maktab Sabah / Sabah College|
Dare To Stand Alone
|Peti Surat 10548, 88600 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
|Type||Semi-Boarding National Secondary School|
|School district||Sembulan, Kota Kinabalu|
|Principal||Puan Hajah Nuinda Haji Alias|
|Grades||Form 1 - Form 6|
|Number of students||Approx. 1400|
|Information||Tel : 088-225201
Fax : 088-216414
Maktab Sabah / Sabah College is a single-session secondary school located in the city of Kota Kinabalu, in the State of Sabah, Malaysia. The school was established in the year 1957, making Sabah College a historical institution as it was formed during the pre-independence of Sabah.
The current Principal is Hajah Nuinda Hj Alias, who has occupied the office since Spring 2006. As of the year 2007, the school has approximately 87 teachers and over 1300 students. The school has also been recognised as one of the leading secondary schools in Sabah. It is however, not academic but extra curriculum gives Sabah College admitted into hall of fame besides social advantages with many state's ministers including the current Chief Minister of Sabah.
Establishment of Sabah College was suggested by the first education director of the North Borneo government, PE Perry in 1947. The purpose of this school is to help and provide education to potential and bright local children in North Borneo. Among the proposed construction sites are Likas (current SM All Saints site), Kepayan and current Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Finally, in 1955, the Civil Aviation Department site has been chosen to be the site of Sabah College with an area of 16.77 acres (67,900 m2) which includes 6 acres (24,000 m2) of sports field area, 4.8 acres (19,000 m2) of residential areas and the rest is the school. In 1956 its construction plans had been proposed to the British Government and granted.
During the construction project the Colonial Development Welfare has funded 90% of the cost. While the rest was contributed by local sources. The first intake consist of 85 students and 95 teachers. Only selected students which passed special exam were chosen to study at Maktab Sabah. The school acting principal was Mr. Buckley. In the same year, Mr. Geoffrey Clarke was appointed as the very first principal of Sabah College.
At the end of 1957 this school was moved to a new site near the current Secretariat building. In 1958 Form Six classes started with limited facility of classes lessons.
Then, in 1960, Sabah College once again moved to a new site. With these new buildings Sabah College continues to develop and become one of the most important secondary schools in Sabah.
Vision and Mission
- Making College Sabah as prime school of distinction.
- Producing smart, progressive, moral, competent, independent, good personality, efficient and effective individuals.
- Maximize the students potential in the education system.
- Generate and strengthen the feeling of love for the school.
- To produce students of today who will become responsible leaders of tomorrow.
- Strengthening partnerships with communities.
Maktab Sabah Kami Agungkan,
Majulah Putera Puteri Kita,
Berganding Bahu Menuntut Pelajaran,
Demi Mencapai Cita-cita Mulia
Berdiri Atas Kaki Sendiri,
Lambang Kemegahan Kami,
Menuntut Ilmu dengan Berani,
Dengan Hati Penuh Suci dan Murni
Berdikari Arah Kemajuan,
Dengan Hati Yang Sabar dan Tabah,
Maju Terus Maju Kehadapaan,
Di Bawah Naungan Maktab Sabah.
Sabah College that we revere,
Move forward o our princess and prince,
Let's work together seeking for knowledge,
To achieve the noble quests
Stand alone on our feet,
For our pride symbol,
Seeking knowledge courageously,
With hearts filled with sacredness and nobility
We Strive for progress,
With patience and determination,
Let's continue moving forward,
Under the banner of Sabah College.
Morning Has Broken(Old Anthem)
Morning has broken like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken like the first bird,
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning
Praise for the springing, fresh from the world
Sweet the rain’s new fall, sunlight from heaven
Like the first dew fall on the wet grass
Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden,
Sprung in completeness, where his feet pass
Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning,
Born of the light, Eden saw play
Praise with elation, praise every morning,
God’s recreation of the new day
Principals of Sabah College
Below are the principals who have served and led Sabah College since its establishment.
- 1st Principal, Mr G.C Clarke (May 1957 - May 1963)
- 2nd Principal, Dr F.J Rawcliffe (May 1963 - Dec 1966)
- 3rd Principal, Mr Siew Peng Foo (January 1968 - May 1976)
- 4th Principal, Datuk Vincent T.Y Shia (May 1970 - September 1976)
- 5th Principal, Mr Yong Foo Sang (September 1976 - May 1980)
- 6th Principal, En Ahmad A. Staun (January 1981 - 1986)
- 7th Principal, Puan Hajah Dg. Haruni (1991 - May 1995)
- 8th Principal, En Ahmad Bin Abdul Waham (September 1995 - May 1998)
- 9th Principal, Puan Julia Willie Jock (1998 - March 2006)
- 10th Principal, Puan Hajah Nuinda Haji Alias (March 2006–Present)
A student pursuing his secondary education in Maktab Sabah is commonly known as a Sabah Collegian; once the individual leaves the school, he is an Old Sabah Collegian. The school's alumni, Old Sabah Collegians Alumni is commonly referred to by its abbreviation, OSCA.
Prominent Alumni Members:
- Datuk Hj Malaya@Ayalamshah Sibuku - Pengarah Juruukur Bahan Jabatan Kerja Raya Sabah' Vice President OSCA' (current)
- Tan Sri Datuk Seri Utama Pandikar Amin Mulia - Speaker of the Dewan Rakyat (Current)
- Datuk Anifah Aman - Malaysian Minister of Foreign Affairs (Current)
- Datuk Dr Maximus Ongkili - Malaysian Minister of Science, Technology, and Innovation (Current)
- Datuk Masidi Manjun - Sabah State Minister of Tourism, Culture and Environment (Current)
- Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal - Malaysian Minister of Rural and Regional Development (Current)
- Datuk Seri Panglima Musa Aman - 14th Chief Minister of Sabah (Current)
- Datuk Nasir Tun Sakaran - Minister in the Chief Minister's Department of Sabah (Current)
- Datuk Seri Panglima Yahya Hussin - Deputy Chief Minister of Sabah (Current)
- Datuk Abdul Rahim Ismail - Former Minister of Agriculture and Food Industry of Sabah
- Datuk Tham Nyip Shen - Former Deputy Chief Minister of Sabah
- Datuk Seri Panglima Mohd.Salleh Tun Mohd.Said - Former Chief Minister and Former Minister of Housing and Local Government of Sabah
- Datuk Haji Nahalan OKK Haji Damsal - Former Minister of Sports and Tourism of Sabah
- Haji Mustafa Kula
- Haji Dahlan Ag Tengah
- Rokiah Yusuf
- Maria Yusuf
- Nur Azmina Ismail
Form 1 1 Mutiara 1 Makmur 1 Aman 1 Kerjasama 1 Tertib 1 Bahagia
Form 2 2 Mutiara 2 Makmur 2 Aman 2 Kerjasama 2 Tertib 2 Bahagia
Form 3 3 Mutiara 3 Makmur 3 Aman 3 Kerjasama 3 Tertib 3 Bahagia 3 Sejahtera
- 4 Berlian ( Science Social )
- 4 Makmur (Pure Science + Principle of Accountancy)
- 4 Aman (Pure Science + Arabic / ICT)
- 4 Kerjasama (Sports Science)
- 4 Tertib (Commerce)
- 4 Bahagia (Geography)
- 4 Sejahtera (Literature)
- 5 Makmur (Pure Science + Principle of Accountancy)
- 5 Aman (Pure Science + Arabic / ICT )
- 5 Kerjasama (Sports Science)
- 5 Tertib (Commerce)
- 5 Bahagia (Geography)
- 5 Sejahtera (Literature)
Lower Form 6
- Lower Six Science
- Lower Six Computer
- Lower Six Business
- Lower Six Humanities 1 (History)
- Lower Six Humanities 2 (Geography)
Upper Form 6
- Upper Six Science
- Upper Six Computer
- Upper Six Business
- Upper Six Humanities 1 (History)
- Upper Six Humanities 2 (Geography)
- Official Website
- Sabah College Fan Page on Facebook
- Sabah College Unofficial Alumni Group on Facebook
- Sabah College Unofficial Common Interest Group on Facebook