|Operator||Makuhari Messe, Inc.|
|• Total space||75,098m²|
|Public transit access||Kaihin-Makuhari Station|
Makuhari Messe (幕張メッセ?) is a Japanese convention center outside Tokyo, located in the Mihama-ku ward of Chiba city, in the northwest corner of Chiba prefecture. Designed by Fumihiko Maki, it is easily accessible by Tokyo's commuter rail system. Makuhari is the name of the area, and Messe is a German word meaning "trade fair".
The convention center opened on October 9, 1989. It hosts many high-technology events.
Makuhari Messe is conveniently close to Tokyo Disney Resort in Urayasu, and to Chiba prefecture's black sand beaches. It is easily accessible from Kaihin-Makuhari station on the Keiyō Line of East Japan Railway Company (JR East). The center is the host of the annual Tokyo Auto Salon (modified car show, in January), the biennial Tokyo Motor Show (in October), the annual Tokyo Game Show (video game hardware and software exhibition, in September), and the annual Jump Festa (manga, anime, and video game exposition, in December).
On July 31, 1999, rock band Glay held their first Glay Expo concert, titled Glay Expo '99 Survival, at the venue. The concert garnered a total audience of about 200,000 people, making it the largest concert ever held by a single act in Japan, as certified by the Guinness World Records.
The venue was noted in 2005 for hosting the first round of the Live8 concert.
On 1 July 2005, the company that owns the convention center changed its name from "Nippon Convention Center" to "Makuhari Messe".
The center also hosted the Magic: The Gathering World Championship in 2010.
It was scheduled to host the Anime Contents Expo, hosted by the Comic-10 Shakai in March 2011 to counter the Tokyo International Anime Fair as part of their boycott of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government under Governor Shintarō Ishihara, but both events were cancelled after the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. The first Anime Contents Expo was held on March 31 and on April 1, 2012, and was visited by 42000 people. The next one is scheduled for March 30 and March 31, 2013.
The japanese band the GazettE held various concerts there, e.g. their 10th aniversary concert on March 10, 2012.
The heavy metal annual festival tour Ozzfest will take place here on May 11–12, 2013. This will be the festival's first appearance in Japan. One DIrection's Final Leg of their Take Me Home World Arena Tour was held in the makuhari to an attendance of 150000 people. Got7 will end their all around the world Japanese tour there
The Metal festival "Knotfest Japan" will be held here on 15 and 16 november 2014
- "GLAY、デビュー15周年の"特別な1年"の内容とは？". Barks (in Japanese). Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "JACK IN THE BOX 2009 SUMMER- Part 1". jame-world.com. 2011-08-19.
- "DEAD END Revival". jame-world.com. 2011-08-19.
- "Anime Contents Expo 2011 Cancelled". Anime News Network. March 17, 2011. Retrieved 2011-03-17.
- "アニメ コンテンツ エキスポ 2013年の開催発表 会場は幕張メッセ4ホールに拡大". animeanime.jp. October 1, 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- "Japanese Edition Of Ozzfest To Take Place Next May". Blabbermouth.net. 2012-10-19. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Ozzfest: More Details Revealed". Blabbermouth.net. 2012-11-02. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Black Sabbath, Slipknot Confirmed For Japan's Ozzfest". Blabbermouth.net. 2012-10-31. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Tool, Deftones, Slash, Stone Sour Confirmed For Ozzfest Japan". Blabbermouth.net. 2012-11-24. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Makuhari Messe.|
Sportovní hala, Prague
|World Figure Skating Championships
National Indoor Arena, Birmingham