Malabo International Airport
|Malabo International Airport
Aeropuerto de Malabo
|Malabo International Airport, June 2007|
|IATA: SSG – ICAO: FGSL
|Operator||Aeropuertos De Guinea Ecuatorial (ADGE)|
|Location||Bioko, Equatorial Guinea|
|Elevation AMSL||76 ft / 23 m|
Malabo Airport or Saint Isabel Airport (IATA: SSG, ICAO: FGSL) (Spanish: Aeropuerto de Malabo), is an airport located at Punta Europa, Bioko Island, Equatorial Guinea. The airport is named after the capital, Malabo, approximately 9 kilometres to the east. Until the discovery of oil within the borders of Equatorial Guinea during the mid-1990s, the airport was a tin-roofed shack that only had one international flight, the government was the main user of the airport. Today it is used mainly by two opposing groups; the petroleum industry and conservationists. The airport is also used by the few aircraft belonging to the armed forces. During the Nigerian Civil War of the late 1960s, the airport was used as a base for flights into Biafra.
The old tin shack that used to greet arrivals has been replaced by a modern airport lounge. The airport now receives a comfortable amount of foreign traffic, although parts of the runway are in need of repair. Despite recent progress, Malabo airport is one of only two paved airports in Equatorial Guinea, according to the CIA world factbook's entry for the country, with the other being Bata Airport, located on mainland Africa. The hangars can accommodate large aircraft such as the McDonnell Douglas DC-10 or the C-130 Hercules. In 2001, the airport served 34,500 passengers and that number has since risen.
Airlines and destinations
- List of the busiest airports in Africa
- Africa's Connection STP official website
- Route map 2014,https://ef1888c0-a-bdfcef60-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/africas-connection.com/www-africas-connection-com/our-schedules/route-map-ACvers2.gif?attachauth=ANoY7cq3qPyqJTa3YDmL9d5iCbzkOjLaXw5yuytxaXnDIjiScJ_UM3X2Z72DWy6yKhnTjCbsPOlO851gY5WLPDRMOn0wJs2_HF6QN6yBIeQBj3qvdcnVG70nwEpto9_ADu9x4eQD5QnhXyaceAKDvZI06hH_cKmore7YZUZSTcGSLYoj_rT-yUGKwkkBnnbA6EHQAbHR-GRheu_4WHYoeZr1cZQHbsbfdR6Jym3IuAfxhXOKwA9WmGfl4DII4h34zI3Qd42sduUz2zPQyMg_x_yiSWznSKwRAA%3D%3D&attredirects=0
- "Ceiba Intercontinental Launches Malabo – Madrid with Boeing 777 | Airline Route – Worldwide Airline Route Updates". Airlineroute.net. Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- Flight Radar 24 , Douniah Airliunes flight routes,https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/douniah-airlines-dts/
- Airport information for FGSL at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.