23 March 1994 |
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Measurements||30-23-33.5 (US); 80-58-85 (EU)|
|Dress size||2 (US), 4 (UK), 32 (EU)|
|Shoe size||7.5 (US), 38 (EU)|
Malaika Firth (born 23 March 1994) is a Kenyan-born British fashion model. She started modeling under Premier Model Management, after her mother saw a TV special about the model agency. Firth attracted attention when she was booked as the first black model in almost 20 years to appear in a Prada advertising.
Firth was born in Mombasa, Kenya and moved to Barking, a suburban town in east London, when she was seven years old. She is biracial, of half European descent. Her family in Kenya belongs to the ethnic group of the Giriama.
Firth was encouraged by her mother to try out modeling, after watching an episode of "The Model Agency", which featured a documentary about the Premier Model Management. Her mother called up the agency and arranged a meeting with them. After attending an open-call casting, Firth was signed on the spot.
Beginning her modeling career at age 17, Firth soon began modeling internationally: She gave her runway-debut at the New York Fashion Week SS2012 for Odilon. She gained attention from the fashion industry after walking in the SS2014 Prada menswear show and starring in the Prada-fall 2013 campaign, which also featured Christy Turlington, Catherine McNeil, Cameron Russell, Freja Beha Erichsen, Sun Feifei and Rachel Williams and was shot by Steven Meisel. With this feat, she became the first Black model in 19 years to score a Prada campaign. The last Black model to book a Prada campaign was Naomi Campbell for the fall 1994 campaign.
Meanwhile, Firth experienced her runway-breakthrough with the fashion week for the Spring/Summer 2014 collections, walking more than 40 shows, including shows from Jean Paul Gaultier, Bottega Veneta, Marc Jacobs, Kenzo, Dolce & Gabbana among others. In November 2013, she debuted at the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.
Firth is currently based in London. If it was not for modeling, Firth would have tried out acting. She acted in several amateur productions in Barking local theatre. Her grandmother runs a restaurant in Kenya.
- "Malaika Firth". fashionmodeldirectory.com. FMD.
- "Malaika Firth". Premier Model Management.
- "5 Things You Need to Know About Prada's New Face". Huffingtonpost. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Malaika Firth: Prada's new Naomi Campbell". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Milligan, Lauren (10 August 2011). "Meet Malaika". Vogue.co.uk. Conde Nast Publications. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- McCathy, Lauren (9 July 2013). "Model Call: Malaika Firth". WWD.com. Women's Wear Daily. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Exclusive interview: Malaika Firth". InoubliableModelArmy.com. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Malaika Firth - advertising résumé". Models.com.
- "Malaika Firth - fashion show résumé". Models.com.
- Milligan, Lauren (17 December 2013). "Two Vogue Favourites Become Burberry Girls". Vogue.co.uk. Conde Nast Publications. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Alexander, Ella (16 July 2013). "Even Prada Muses Get Star-Struck". vogue.co.uk. Conde Nast Publications. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Malaika Firth.|
- Malaika-Firth at Models.com
- Malaika Firth on Twitter
- Malaika Firth on Instagram
- Malaika Firth on Facebook