|IATA: MAK – ICAO: HSSM|
|Airport type||Public, Civilian|
|Owner||Civil Aviation Authority of South Sudan|
|Serves||Malakal, South Sudan|
|Elevation AMSL||1,291 ft / 393 m|
(Upper Nile state highlighted)
Malakal Airport (IATA: MAK, ICAO: HSSM) is an airport serving Malakal, a city in Malakal County in the Upper Nile state in South Sudan. The airport is located just north of the city's central business district, adjacent to the main campus of Upper Nile University. Malakal is near the international border with the Republic of Sudan and the border with Ethiopia.
Malakal is the second-largest airport in South Sudan. It one of the two international airports in the country, the other and largest being Juba International Airport, in the capital city of Juba, South Sudan. Malakal Airport lies approximately 521 kilometres (281 NM) north of Juba Airport.
As part of the United Nation's Mission to Sudan (UNMIS), the airport was a major staging point for United Nation operations to South Sudan and will continue to do so under the new United Nation's Mission to South Sudan (UNMISS) mandate.
The airport resides at an elevation of 1,291 feet (393 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 05/23 with an asphalt surface measuring 2,000 by 38 metres (6,562 ft × 125 ft).
Scheduled airlines and destinations
The following airlines maintain scheduled service at Malakal Airport to the following destinations:
|Sudan Airways||Khartoum, Juba|
- Airport information for HSSM from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for MAK at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- Nautical Distance Between Juba And Malakal With Map
- Malakal Airport Re-opens
- Malakal Elevation Is 1,291 Feet Above Sea Level
- Dimensions of Malakal Airport
- Flight Stats, Arrivals for May 26, 2014, http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do?airportCode=MAK&airportQueryType=1
- Photo of Malakal Airport In 2011
- Photo of Malakal Airport In 2007
- Accident history for MAK at Aviation Safety Network
- Location of Malakal Airport At Google Maps