|8,789,585 (2010 estimate)|
|Regions with significant populations|
|South Sumatra: 2,139,000
West Kalimantan: 1,259,890
Riau Islands: 600,108
North Sumatra: 582,100
|Indonesian Malays, Indonesian|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Malaysian Malay, Malays in Singapore, Minang, Acehnese, Banjarese,|
Malay Indonesians (Malay and Indonesian: Melayu Indonesia; Jawi script: ملايو إندونيسيا) are ethnic Malays living throughout Indonesia, as one of the indigenous peoples of the island nation. Indonesia has the second largest ethnic Malay population, after Malaysia. Historically, Indonesian, the national language of Indonesia, was derived from the Malay spoken in Riau archipelago, a province in eastern Sumatra. There were a number of Malay kingdoms in Indonesia that covered the islands of Sumatra and Kalimantan, such as Srivijaya, Melayu Kingdom, Sultanate of Deli, Johor-Riau Sultanate and the Sultanate of Sambas.
Notable Malay Indonesians
- Andrea Hirata, Indonesian author
- Raja Ali Haji, a 19th-century historian, member of the royal house of Riau and Selangor and National Hero of Indonesia
- Jayanegara, 2nd monarch of the Empire of Majapahit
- Tuanku Sultan Otteman II - a former Sultan of Deli, in which the kingdom's capital was Medan, in North Sumatra.
- Marzuki Alie - speaker of the People's Representative Council, 2009-2014 term
- Hatta Rajasa - the Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs in the Second United Indonesia Cabinet. Previously, he was the State Secretary, Minister of Transport and Minister for Research and Technology in the Mutual Assistance Cabinet (2001-2004).
- Amir Hamzah - an Indonesian poet and National Hero of Indonesia.
- Hamzah Haz - an Indonesian politician. He is the head of the United Development Party (PPP) and served as the ninth Vice-President from 2001 until 2004.
- Yusril Ihza Mahendra - formethe chairman of Crescent Star Party
- Alex Noerdin - the 15th Governor of South Sumatra
- Rizal Nurdin - the 15th Governor of North Sumatra
- Tantowi Yahya - indonesian tv presenter turned politician.
- Ariel Peterpan - the lead singer vocalist of Indonesian band Noah.
- Carissa Putri - Indonesian model and actress.
- Revalina Sayuthi Temat - Indonesian actress, popularly known for her work in Bawang Merah Bawang Putih
- Titi Kamal - prominent Indonesian actress and singer
- Farah Quinn - celebrity chef
- "Propinsi Kalimantan Barat - Dayakologi". Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- Tedjasukmana, Jason (June 25, 2010). "Sex Video Scandal and Indonesia's Porn Obsession". TIME magazine. Retrieved 25 June 2010.
|This article about ethnicity or ethnology is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|