Malayalam journalism encompasses journalism published and broadcast in the Malayalam language. Modern Malayalam journalism can be traced to the publication of the Raajyasamaachaaram and the Pashchimodhayam under the direction of Hermann Gundert in June 1847.
- 1 Newspapers
- 2 Journals
- 3 Malayalam journalists
- 4 Television Age
- 5 Online Journalism
- 6 Malayalam Citizen Journalism
- 7 Malayalam Internet Radio Networks
- 8 References
Defunct Malayalam newspapers
While long out of print, these newspapers played crucial roles in the public life of Kerala during periods of political unease by vocalizing citizen dissent, and by subsequently influencing public opinion. Despite their historical and cultural significance, many of these publications were forced to close following pressure from local authorities. Some of their names survive as sobriquets of their primary editors.
- Kerala Tribune (Mathews.K.Lukose Poriyakal Ayoor). People Tribune*Mathews.K.lukose Chief Editor
- Keralamithram (edited by Kandathil Varghese Mappila and published by Devji Bhimji)
- Kerala Pathrika (edited by Chengalathu Kunhirama Menon)
- Kerala Sanchari (edited by Vengayil Kunhiraman Nayanar, otherwise known as Vadakkan Kesari, and published by the Spectator Press, Calicut)
- Swadeshabhimani (edited by K. Ramakrishna Pillai and published by Vakkom Abdul Khadir Moulavi)
- Mithavadhi (edited by Moorkkoththu Kumaran and later by C. Krishnan)
- Kesari (edited by Kesari Balakrishna Pillai, otherwise known as Thekkan Kesari)
- Sahodharan (edited by Sahodaran Ayyappan)
- Al-Ameen (edited and published by Mohammed Abdul Rahiman)
- Malabar Mail (edited by Fr. Thomas Veluthedathu and M. M. Varkey, and published by Mar Augustine Kandathil)
Current Malayalam newspapers
- Madhyamam (founded by the Ideal Publications Trust and edited initially by P. K. Balakrishnan and K. A. Kodungallur)
- Chandrika fouded by Indian Union Muslim League
- Deepika (founded and edited initially by Nidhiry Mani Kathanar)- currently run by church
- Deshabhimani (founded by the Communist Party of India (Marxist) and edited currently by V. V. Dakshinamoorthi)
- Kerala Kaumudi (founded and edited initially by C. V. Kunhiraman)
- Malayala Manorama (founded and edited initially by Kandathil Varghese Mappila)
- Mangalam (founded by M. C. Varghese)
- Mathrubhumi (founded and edited initially by K. P. Kesava Menon)
- Siraj (founded in 1984 at Caliut)
- Veekshanam edited by K. L. Mohana Varma
- Varthamanam edited by Jafar Atholi
- Janmabhumi edited by Hari.S. Kartha.
- Janayugam founded by Communist Party of India edited by Veliyam Bharghavan
- Metro Vaartha Editor: Renji Panicker. Owned by M.A.Pharis
- General (Newspaper) founded In 1976, From Thrissur, Kerala .
- Thejas (founded by the Inter Media Publishing Ltd.)
- Udaya Kkeralam (founded and edited initially by Vishnu S Ambadi)
- Newage (founded & Published by Newage News India Pvt Ltd.Ernakulam)
- Madhyamam weekly , Chief Editor: O. Abdurahman
- Mathrubhumi Weekly
- Chintha Varika , Chief Editor: C. P. Narayanan
- Bhashaposhini Monthly
- Pachakkuthira Monthly
- Deshabhimani Weekly which was edited by Thayattu Shankaran and M.N. Vijayan
- Grihalakshmi (Edited by K. K. Sreedharan Nair)
- Samakalika Malayalam Vaarika edited by S.Jayachandran Nair
- Kala Kaumudi ( Founded by M.S.Mani)
- Kesari , RSS Malayalam Mouthpiece.
- Chandrika ( Founded by Musthafa)
- Thejas (founded by Inter Media Publishing Ltd and edited by Prof. P Koya)
- Probodhanam weekly Edited by T.K. Abdullah
- Al Irfad
- Sunni Voice
- Janashakthi Weekly 
- Flash Movies
- Arogyapadmam Family Health Magazine from Santhigiri Ashram - Associate Editor: T Sasi Mohan
- Santhigiri Spiritual Magazine from Santhigiri Ashram,Thiruvananthapuram
- Elias John (NTV)
- Dennis Jacob, Kanjirappally (Deepika)
- E.M.S. Namboodiripad
- V.R. Krishna Iyer
- T. J. S. George
- Berlin Kunhananthan Nair
- Abu Abraham
- O. Abdurahman
- M. N. Vijayan
- Alwin Jose, Thodupuzha
- Hameed Chennamangaloor
- Parvathi Menon, The Hindu
- M.P.Veerendra kumar
- Ettumanoor Joseph Mathew
- C.Unni Raja
- I.V. Das
- Sulphikar.s (Anweshanam.com)
- Sidharthan Paruthikkad
- John Brittas
- Babu Bharadwaj
- Venkitesh Ramakrishnan
- Narikkutty Mohanan
- N.Prabha Varma
- Mangad Rathnakaran
- V.K. Madhavan Kutty
- Jomichan George Teekoy (Deepika)
- Thayat Shankaran
- P. Govinda Pillai
- Shashi Kumar
- T.Sasi Mohan
- M.G. Radhakrishnan
- M.C. Varghese
- B.G. Verghese
- Mammen Mathew
- K. P. Kesava Menon
- Biju Tharayil
- M.P.Veerendra Kumar
- OM Tharuvana
- Rajeev Shankar
- Nikhil Raj Natarajan
Journalists from Kerala who contributed to Indian journalism in the English language include:
- Swadeshabhimani K. Ramakrishna Pillai wrote the Vruththaanthapathrapravarthanam (1912), the first book on journalism in the Malayalam language.
- Dr. T. M. Nair (Swarajya), Barrister G. P. Pillai (Madras Standard)
- Barrister George Joseph (Independent, Young India) (brother of Pothan Joseph, the doyen of Indian journalists; Hindustan Times, Deccan Herald, Indian Express, Dawn etc.)
- V. K. Krishna Menon, K. Shankar Pillai (arguably the doyen of Indian cartoonists; Shankar's Weekly)
Television broadcasting in the Malayalam tongue began 1985 with the beginning of Doordarshan telecasting.
One of Doordarshan's first services was the broadcasting of regular news bulletins. Since its inception, the organization has become one of the largest television broadcasting entities in the world in terms of integrated studio and transmitter infrastructure.
NTV is a UAE based Malayalam Channel founded by the Kerala production house. NTV is broadcast as an E-vision frequency on channel no 742. Since its founding over two decades ago, NTV has functioned as a major producer and broadcaster of Malayalam programs. The name NTV has largely grown synonymous with major Malayalam telecasting. Serving all Malayalam channels including the state owned Dooradarshan, NTV continues to direct and produce a wide array of Malayalam-language programs.
The company was founded by Mr. Leen B Jesmas and Mr. Elias John in the year 1992. With the emergence of the satellite channels NTV made a break through by producing some of the most popular current affairs programmes on mini screen like ‘Kannadi’, ’Jalakam’,’Aniyara’, Saakshi, Vicharana. The creators of this quality programmes won 10 Kerala state Awards and many other recognitions.
NTV has always been a springboard for all Malayalam channels launched till date. NTV has been the major provider of basic archival content for television, was a major source for popularizing television channels. NTV’s UAE Operations started in the year 2009 by starting a regional Malayalam channel from this region. The channel was launched in June 2009 as the only regional Malayalam channel of UAE. It is there in all the major packages of E-vision including the basic, E-life and E- Pehla. NTV programming covers a range of generes, including News, current Affairs, Entertainment, Life style, culture and movies.Ntv's program, web site: www.ntv.in, www.ntvuae.com.
MediaOne TV is a Malayalam television channel under Madhyamam Broadcasting Limited from Madhyamam family. Mediaone broadcast programmes from its main Studio unit located at Kozhikode. Dr. Yaseen Ashraf is the managing director.
Asianet was the first Malayalam TV Channel in private sector. Asianet started by Sashikumar, a famous left minded media person, in 1990 with his NRI uncle Reji Menon as main investor. They started their news bulletins in 1994. It was a turning point in the history of Malayalam journalism. The news persons behind this initiative were B. R. P. Bhaskar, T. N. Gopakumar, Neelan, K. Jayachandran, N. P. Chandrasekharan, K. Rajagopal, C. L. Thomas,and N. K. Raveendran. This channel became the nursery of Television Journalism in Malayalam. The founding leaders of some of the news channels of Kerala were the products of Asianet like M. V. Nikesh Kumar (Indiavision), N. P. Chandrasekharan (People) and K. P. Jayadeep (Manorama News). Later Sashikumar was driven out of the channel when other business interests took control of the channel. The full ownership gone to Raji Menon . Later the channel was taken over by the Rajeev Chandrasekhar's group. At present the world media baron Rupert Murdoch is the owner of Asianet channels except Asianet news. UPA governments' foreign direct investment policy in press helped him for take over. This made the channel playing its role in what is referred to as Crony Capitalism. Noted journalist and Magsaysay Award Winner Sainath Opined: "The dominant media are not pro-corporate or pro-big business. They are corporates.".
Indiavision was the first full fledged news channel started in Malayalam. It started functioning in 2003 August by M. K. Muneer and M. T. Vasudevan Nair. The leaders of the channel were Mr. M. V. Nikesh Kumar (Executive Editor), N.P. Chandrasekharan (Associate Editor) and A. Sahadevan (Programme Consultant).
Kairali TV is a Malayalam television channel. It is the first public limited channel promoted by keralites in the world. Currently, Mammootty, film actor in Malayalam, holds the post of Chairman. Other important leaders are: D Prabha Varma- Director, News and Current Affairs, N. P, Chandrasekharan- Executive Editor, Somakumar- Executive Producer and Abraham Mathew- Chief Correspondent. In 2005, a news channel People TV was launched by Kairali TV.
The HQ and studio of the channel is at East Fort, Thiruvananthapuram(Trivandrum). It has a transmission centre at Ernakulam too. A state-of-the-art HQ was constructed in Trivandrum as the Communist Marxists got rule of the State .
The channel owners claim that their vision is to create programmes that meet international standards of production excellence. Kairali TV has gained considerable viewership and popularity in a short span of time. People TV is another channel owned by Kairali, that caters news and current affairs round the clock. "WE TV, a channel for the youth has started transmission on April 14 of 2007."
Jeevan TV is a 24 hour Malayalam television channel, with its headquarters at Palarivattom, Kochi, India. It uses the slogan "The complete family channel". Further it is a semi news channel. It is promoted by the Catholic Church of Kerala although the journalists working there came from Chenkottukonam Swami's Punyabhumi. Mar Andrews Thazhath, Metropolitan Arch Bishop of Trichur is the chairman of this channel. Currently Baby Mathew Somatheeram is the Managing Director. Other important leaders are: Isac Joseph-Working Chairman, PJ Antony-Executive Editor, Dr Biju Alappatt-Chief Co-ordinator, MS Banesh-News Editor, Babu Velappaya-News Editor, Jeevan TV, was established in the year 2002.This well known television channel is one such channel aired for the Malayalam- speaking viewers that caters to the interest of an entire family.
JaiHind TV is the general entertainment channel in Kerala, Controlled by Indian National Congress broadcasting from Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala . It is a full-time channel but some type of entertainment programs also broadcasting K.P.Mohanan is the Chief Executive Officer(CEO) of the channel.
In 2006, Manorama News was started with Indiavision's Pramod Raman and Shani Prabhakaran as anchors. K. P. Jayadeep and Pramod Raman [Romi Mathew] were also became coleaders of this channel.
Reporter TV is a television news channel broadcasting in the Malayalam language catering to the Malayalam speaking population in Kerala as well as abroad.M V Nikesh Kumar, a popular media person in Kerala, India is the CEO of Reporter TV
Darshana TV is a Malayalam television channel. It Broadcasts many programs like kuppivala, katha parayam.. and more....
Shalom Television is a Christian television channel. Shalom television broadcasts Christian programming in the Asia, UK, Europe and the US. Shalom is a non-profit organization with publications; Shalom Times, Shalom Tidings and Sunday Shalom. Shalom TV India has associate itself with Eternal Word Television Network, transmitting programming 24 hours a day to 105 million homes in 110 countries and 16 territories on more than 3,400 cable systems, wireless cable, Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), low power TV and individual satellite users.
Goodness Television is a Christian television channel run by Divine Retreat Centre, Potta. Goodness TV India broadcasts Christian programming in the Asia, UK, Europe and the US.
The real advent of Malayalam Online Media was in 2000. Newspapers started their online editions during the late 1990s. But those were replica of the print news online. And the first Malayalam news channel web portal is peopletvonline.com, which is one of the fast growing portal in this category
Some of the successful Online Malayalam News Papers are Doolnews.com, infomalayalee.com, Puzha.com, Livevartha.com, Malayalam Pathram., Evartha.in. DoolNews.com is edited by noted Writer Babu Bharadwaj. malayalam.indiainfo.com. which was started in the year 2000, Later it was rechristened as Thatsmalayalam.com. Now the portal is under oneindia.in
Drishyam TV; First Free Malayalam Television Channel on the Internet started in 2005.
By September 2000 Webdunia.com started Weblokam.com. which is now known as www.malayalam.webdunia.com.T Sasi Mohan of Mathrubhumi Daily became its Editor. Weblokam .com was the first web portal in Malayalam and Sasi Mohan was the first editor of a Malayalam portal. The advantage of Weblokam was that it was able to give news on real time where as online editions of news papers were giving news that have appeared in the days newspaper. Weblokam had offered own Email ( multilingual mail in Indian languages) and search facility both in English and Malayalam.
Malayalam Citizen Journalism
Kerala Social Network www.koottam.com promotes citizen journalism among keralites.
Malayalam Internet Radio Networks
Radio Dum Dum which is conferred as the first Malayalam Internet Radio actively promotes Malayalam News, Songs and Programmes worldwide and they are unique in their concept of regional content delivery to specific regions over their global stream.
- ":: Janashakthi ::". Janashakthionline.com. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Pothan Joseph - the doyen of Indian journalism". josephclan.com. Retrieved 2008-08-21.
- http://www.thehindu.com | "The republic on a banana peel" By P. Sainath, The Hindu 3 December 2010
- "Malayalam news". MalayalamCommunications_Ltd. Retrieved 2006-11-26.
- "Malayalam news, Flash news, Breaking news, latest news, Kerala". dool news. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Magazine- News Channel". Puzha.com. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Livevartha-Malayalam News,Latest Kerala News,District News,Local News,Gulf News". Livevartha.com. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Malayalam Pathram Online Edition,Celebrating 22 Golden Years,Join Us". Malayalampathram.com. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "E-Vartha is one of the leading Multilingual(Malayalam & English) news portals since 2009". evartha. Retrieved 2014-04-03.