Malaysia–European Union relations
Malaysia–European Union relations refers to multilateral relations between Malaysia and the European Union countries. Malaysia has had a free trade agreement with the European Union (EU) since 2010 and both benefit from the relationship.
Malaysia has already have an old relationship with the European Union countries. Since the 15th century, three European colonial powers such as the Portuguese, Dutch and the British had arrived to Malaysian shores to find for a new colonies and maintain a trade relations between the existed Kingdom there. Now in the modern times, the relations started with the 1980 European Commission–ASEAN Agreement and were developed since the formation of European Economic Community (EEC) in 1957. The European Commission delegation office was established in Malaysia on 2003 and since then, policy interaction and co-operation between both federal and state authorities including the Malaysian and EU business community and the civil society has increased progressively.
In 2011, Malaysia is the European Union second largest trading partner in Southeast Asia after Singapore and the 23rd largest trading partner for the European Union in the world, while the European Union is Malaysia's 4th largest trading partner. Major exports from Malaysia including electrical and electronic products, palm oil, chemicals and chemical products, rubber products especially optical and scientific equipment, while European Union major exports to Malaysia are also electrical and electronic products with some other machinery, appliances and parts, chemicals and chemical products, transport equipment as well as iron and steel products. The total trade increasing from MYR63.66 billion in 2011 to MYR135 billion in 2013 with the European Union climbing one stage to become Malaysia's third largest trading partner. While the top three European Union countries major investors in Malaysia were Netherlands with MYR2.4 billion, Germany with MYR 1.7 billion and United Kingdom with MYR500 million.
- EU–Malaysia at European Services Forum
- Malaysia and the European Union: Perspectives for the Twenty-first Century ISBN 978-3-643-80085-5
- "Malaysia-European Union Free Trade Agreement (MEUFTA)". Ministry of International Trade and Industry, Malaysia. 18 April 2014. Archived from the original on 5 May 2014. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Malaysia-European Union Bilateral Relations". Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia. Archived from the original on 5 May 2014. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Christoph Marcinkowski, Ruhanas Harun, and Constance Chevallier-Govers. "Malaysia and the European Union: A Partnership for the 21st Century". Centre D'Etudes Sur La Securite Internationale Et Les Cooperations Europeennes. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Malaysia". European External Action Service. Archived from the original on 5 May 2014. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Bilateral trade between Malaysia and EU higher in 2013". New Straits Times. Archived from the original on 5 May 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.