Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra
The Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra (MPO) is a Malaysian orchestra, resident at the Dewan Filharmonik Petronas (Petronas Philharmonic Hall) in Kuala Lumpur. The orchestra gives concerts throughout Malaysia and also in Singapore.
Founded in 1997 under the direction of its first music director, Kees Bakels, the MPO gave its first concert on 17 August 1998 under the direction of Bakels. Bakels served as the MPO's music director until 2005, and currently holds the title of conductor laureate. Bakels initially had intended to step down from the post earlier, after James Judd had been named the MPO's next music director in September 2003. However, in April 2004, the MPO terminated the agreement with Judd without public explanation, and Judd never took up the post of the MPO's music director. Subsequently, Matthias Bamert was named the MPO's music director in November 2004, and served in the post from 2005 to 2008. Claus Peter Flor became the MPO's music director starting with the 2008-2009 season, with an initial contract of 3 years. In February 2012, nine European musicians were served with notice of dismissal  provoking an outcry around the world. The International Federation of Musicians called on professionals to boycott MPO auditions.
- Michael Markowitz (2003-09-25). "James Judd Named Malaysian Philharmonic's Music Director". andante.com (overall site now defunct). Retrieved 2009-03-03.
- Matthew Westphal (2004-08-02). "James Judd's Contract with Malaysian Philharmonic Terminated". andante.com (overall site now defunct). Retrieved 2009-03-03.
- Ben Mattison (2004-11-29). "Malaysian Philharmonic Names Matthias Bamert as Principal Conductor". Playbill Arts. Retrieved 2009-03-03.
- "The Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra Announces the Appointment of Claus Peter Flor as its New Music Director" (PDF) (Press release). Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra. 22 November 2007. Retrieved 2009-03-03.
- Tim Ashley (2006-04-14). "Lalo, Cello Concerto; Symphony in G Minor; Namouna (excerpts)". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-02-28.
- Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra official website
- Malaysian Property Partners - Malaysian Philharmonic
|This article on a classical orchestra is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Malaysia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|