|Headquarters||Linwood, Renfrewshire, Scotland|
|Donald Malcolm (-2003)
Andrew Malcolm, CEO
|Revenue||£170 million (2011)|
|£4.4 million (2011)|
W. H. Malcolm Ltd (trading as the Malcolm Group) is a logistics company based in Linwood, Renfrewshire, Scotland. The company provides logistic services (Malcolm Logistics and Malcolm Rail) including road and rail transport, warehousing, and terminal management. Other group activities include civil engineering construction - primarily groundwork and vehicle maintenance.
The origins of the company trace to the late 1930/early1940s when the young Donald Malcolm left school in his early teenage years and started running his family's small coal business. The business grew and in the 1950s entered a partnership with Grampian Holdings; the company expanded into the road building through an equipment hire business, and a shale bing business.
In 1960 the company was acquired by Grampian Holdings - the company's assets included 37 vehicles and seven construction equipment items. Donald Malcolm remained in charge of W H Malcolm after the takeover. Donald Malcolm died in 2003; two of his sons Walter and Andrew took over management of the business.
In 2002 Grampian Holdings was public listed on the stock exchange, and was renamed The Malcolm Group plc. In 2005 the company was taken back into private ownership by the Malcolm family.
The group provides warehousing at locations in Scotland, and northern and central England, primary and secondary road distribution, and train services in association with Direct Rail Services as well as managing the rail terminals at Grangemouth, Linwood (Elderslie) and Daventry International Rail Freight Terminal.
The company's construction division undertakes civil engineering work including excavation and construction of earthworks, roadwork and groundwork, waste recycling, quarrying, and sports pitch surfacing in association with Charles Lawrence Surfaces Ltd and Woodholme Construction.
Road vehicle maintenance is carried out in house.
- "WebCHeck - search "W. H. Malcolm Ltd"", wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk (Companies House)
- "The Malcolm Group, Ltd.", investing.businessweek.com (Bloomberg LP), retrieved 21 January 2012
- "Profits at Malcolm Group driven up to reach £4.4m", www.heraldscotland.com (Herald Scotland)
- "Donald Malcolm Entrepreneurial giant who transformed a horse-and-cart business into a leading force in the road haulage enterprise", www.heraldscotland.com, 9 May 2003
- "Group History", www.malcolmgroup.co.uk (W H Malcolm Ltd), retrieved 15 January 2012
- "Logistics Services", www.malcolmgroup.co.uk (W H Malcolm Ltd), retrieved 21 January 2012
- "Rail Services", www.malcolmgroup.co.uk (W H Malcolm Ltd), retrieved 21 January 2012
- "CONSTRUCTION", www.malcolmgroup.co.uk (W H Malcolm Ltd), retrieved 21 January 2012
- "MAINTENANCE", www.malcolmgroup.co.uk (W H Malcolm Ltd), retrieved 21 January 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to W H Malcolm.|
|This article about a company of Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This transport corporation-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|