Malden Center (MBTA station)
Malden Center station as seen from the Commercial Street busway.
|Address||Commercial St. at Pleasant St.
Malden, Massachusetts 02148
|Platforms||1 side platform (Haverhill Line)
1 island platform (Orange Line)
|Tracks||1 (Haverhill Line)
2 (Orange Line)
|Parking||188 spaces (4 accessible)|
|Opened||December 27, 1975|
|Owned by||Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority|
|Passengers (2009)||Orange Line: 11,258 daily
Haverhill Line: 26 inbound daily
Malden Center Station is an MBTA station on the Orange Line and Haverhill Line, located on Pleasant Street in downtown Malden, Massachusetts. It is an elevated station serving Malden's Edgeworth and downtown areas, with a small parking lot and connections to several bus lines. In 2004, the station added a second exit stairwell and its first and only elevator, making the station handicap accessible.
Expansion to Malden had been a long-time goal of the Boston Elevated Railway, and the Everett extension of the Charlestown line was originally planned to go past Everett and into Malden and Reading via Main Street. However, residents of Malden were opposed to the elevated railroad structure that was planned, and prevented the extension. The 1975 extension was built along the existing Haverhill Line embankment and was considered less disruptive than an a separate, fully elevated railroad would have been.
The station, located on a high grade, is one of a small number of elevated rapid transit stations remaining in the MBTA system. (The only others are Science Park, Beachmont, Wollaston, Charles/MGH, and Fields Corner.) Boston once had several elevated lines, but the Atlantic Avenue Elevated, Charlestown Elevated, Washington Street Elevated, and Causeway Elevated were all torn down in favor of subway and surface-level lines.
Malden Station is a major bus transfer station, with 13 routes serving the station via its two busways.
- 97 Wellington Station - Malden Center Station via Canal Street, Hancock Street & Everett
- 99 Boston Regional Medical Center - Wellington Station via Main Street & Malden Center Station
- 101 Sullivan Square Station - Malden Center Station via Salem Street, Main Street & Broadway
- 104 Sullivan Square Station - Malden Center Station via Broadway & Ferry Street
- 105 Sullivan Square Station - Malden Center Station via Main Street & Newland Street
- 106 Franklin Square Melrose - Wellington Station via Lebanon Street, Maplewood Square & Malden Center Station
- 108 Linden Square - Wellington Station via Highland Ave & Malden Center Station
- 131 Melrose Highlands - Malden Center Station via East Side Melrose & Oak Grove
- 132 Redstone Shopping Center - Malden Center Station via Stoneham, Wyoming Square & Oak Grove
- 136 Reading Depot - Malden Center Station via Wakefield, Melrose & Oak Grove
- 137 Reading Depot - Malden Center Station via North Ave, Wakefield, Melrose & Oak Grove
- 411 Revere/Jack Satter House - Malden Center Station via Northgate Shopping Center & Wonderland Station
- 430 Saugus Center - Malden Center Station via Broadway & Square One Mall
|Platforms||Southbound||← Orange Line toward Forest Hills (Wellington)|
|Island platform, doors will open on the left|
|Northbound||→ Orange Line toward Oak Grove (Terminus) →|
|Commuter rail||← Haverhill Line →|
|Side platform, doors will open on the left, right|
|Ground||Street level, lobby||Fare barriers, entrance/exit|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Malden Center (MBTA station).|
- Official MBTA station pages: Orange Line and Haverhill Line
- Haverhill Line schedule
- Commercial Street entrance from Google Maps Street View