Malekith the Accursed
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (April 2013)|
|Malekith the Accursed|
Malekith the Accursed escapes from his prison in Thor: God of Thunder #13 (2013).
Art by Ron Garney.
|First appearance||Thor #344 (June 1984)|
|Created by||Walt Simonson|
|Notable aliases||Angel, Master of the Hounds, Malcolm Keith, Dark Elf, Balder|
|Abilities||Superhuman strength, speed, agility, stamina, reflexes, durability, and intellect
Wields Dark Faerie magic
Ability to summon The Wild Hunt
Malekith the Accursed is a fictional character, a supervillain in the Marvel Universe. He is ruler of the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim, and has come into conflict with Thor. He once wielded the Casket of Ancient Winters. The character was played by Christopher Eccleston in Thor: The Dark World.
Created by Walt Simonson, Malekith first appeared in Thor #344-349 (June-November 1984). He subsequently appeared in issues #363 (January 1986), 366-368 (April-June 1986), 485-487 (April-June 1995), and 489 (August 1995) of Thor.
He made guest appearances in X-Force and Cable Annual 1997 and Heroes for Hire #14 (August 1998) before again battling Thor in Thor vol. 2, #29-32 (November 2000 - February 2001). He later appeared in The Incredible Hercules #134 (November 2009) and #136 (December 2009). He is also set to appear in Thor: God Of Thunder issues #13 - #17 in a 5 part storyline called "The Accursed".
Fictional character biography
Malekith struck an alliance with Loki on behalf of the fire demon Surtur. He took control of a number of Earth humans using special food of the faerie provided by Hela. Malekith then killed Eric Willis, guardian of the Casket of Ancient Winters, after learning its location. As Master of the Hounds, Malekith hunted down Roger Willis, Eric's son and new guardian of the Casket. Malekith battled Thor, and kidnapped Lorelei. Using Lorelei as bait, Malekith forced Thor to battle Algrim the Strong, one of his Dark Elf followers, then attempted to destroy both combatants by plunging them into a pool of magma. He then captured the Casket of Ancient Winters from Roger Willis. Malekith was ultimately defeated by Thor, but not before he destroyed the Casket of Ancient Winters, releasing magical frigid force all over the Earth. Malekith was then brought as a captive by Thor to Asgard.
Malekith later disguised Loki as himself to take his place in the dungeon, while he disguised himself as Balder, who was about to be crowned ruler of Asgard. Kurse, the being formerly known as Algrim, saw through Malekith's disguise when he reached Asgard City. Kurse then broke Malekith's neck, apparently slaying him.
Years later, Malekith was revealed to be alive once again. Disguising himself as Balder again, he enlisted Hercules to attack Alflyse, the Dark Elf Queen of the Eastern Spires, while disguised as Thor. His scheme unraveled (partially due to the appearance of Thor disguised as Hercules), and he was easily defeated by Zeus.
Malekith has resurfaced again intent on collecting Mandarin's rings. The other ring-bearing hosts were later to meet their demise or mutilation at the hands of Malekith. In the storyline "Rings of the Mandarin", it is revealed that after reclaiming his kingdom Svartalfheim he was approached by a ring seeking a host, but bent its will to his rather than letting it control his mind. He has now begun a campaign to attack all other "Mandarins" and take their rings, desiring "the full set" before attacking Tony Stark. Though he is usually a foe of Thor and other magical beings, his opposition to Iron Man is rooted in Elves' traditional weakness towards iron.
Powers and abilities
Malekith has all the normal attributes of a member of the race of dark elves, although his abilities are as a result of above-average development. He possesses superhuman intellect, strength, speed, stamina, durability, agility, and reflexes.
As a dark elf, Malekith also has the ability to manipulate the forces of magic for a variety of effects, including teleportation, energy projection, physical malleability, flight (by transforming into mist), illusion casting, and the ability to change the shape and appearance of other beings or objects.
Malekith has a vulnerability to iron, which disrupts or cancels his magical spells.
Malekith appeared in an issue of Marvel Adventures: The Avengers where he tries to take over Asgard with the help of the Frost Giants, but he was defeated with the combined efforts of the Avengers and Thor.[volume & issue needed]
In other media
- Malekith the Accursed appears in the The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode "The Casket of Ancient Winters", voiced by Quinton Flynn.
- Malekith the Accursed appears in the Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. episode "For Asgard" voiced by James C. Mathis III.
- Malekith the Accursed appears in the 2013 live-action film, Thor: The Dark World, played by Christopher Eccleston.
- Malekith the Accursed appears as a boss in Marvel: Avengers Alliance. He is featured in the 14th Spec-Ops that revolves around the plot from Thor: The Dark World.
- Malekith the Accursed appears in Marvel Heroes.
- Malekith the Accursed appears in Lego Marvel Super Heroes, voiced by Stephen Stanton. In a bonus mission at Jotunheim, Malekith the Accursed has collaborated with Laufey where they have captured Heimdall causing Thor and Loki to rescue Heimdall. Thor and Loki are able to defeat Malekith and free Heimdall.
- Thor #344
- Thor #345
- Thor #346
- Thor #347
- Thor #348
- Thor #349
- Thor #367
- Incredible Hercules #132, 136
- Iron Man Vol. 5 #22, Kieron Gillen, 2014
- Iron Man Vol. 5 #23.NOW
- Hulk vs Thor
- Fleming, Mike (2012-08-01). "We Have A ‘Thor 2′ Villain: Christopher Eccleston To Play Malekith The Accursed". Deadline.com. Archived from the original on 2012-08-01. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- Miller, Greg. "LEGO Marvel Super Heroes: Characters and Cast Revealed". IGN.