The product was originally made from fruit spirits, flavored with rum and coconut flavoring in Curaçao. Originally, the product was used to simplify the making of Piña Coladas by bartenders. When the product took off, the production was then moved to Barbados where the rum is made by West Indies Rum Distillery Ltd., and the quality of the ingredients used was improved. The brand was sold by Diageo to Allied Domecq for £560m ($800m) in 2002 and later to Pernod Ricard.
Advertising campaigns label it "Seriously Easy Going" and usually features people from the Caribbean taking life seriously, in a parody of the stress associated with the Western urban lifestyle, with a voice over at the end saying "If people in the Caribbean took life as seriously as this, they would never have invented Malibu. It's seriously easy going." The marketing thrust of Malibu Rum has also strongly focused on marketing Malibu Rum's online streaming audio station known as RadioMaliBoomBoom.com.
Currently, there are 12 Malibu variations in the world-wide market.
- MALIBU BLACK (Since 2011) combines the smooth coconut flavor with higher proof and less sweetness. Availability: USA, Canada & Duty Free Airports in Europe.
- MALIBU RED (Since 2012) is a blend of MALIBU Caribbean Rum and silver Tequila. Availability: USA, UK & Europe.
- MALIBU ISLAND SPICED (Since 2013) combines Malibu with light spices, smoked vanilla, cinnamon and natural sweetness with Truvia®, zero-calorie sweetener. Availability: USA & Canada.
- MALIBU FRESH (Since 2011) combines the freshness of mint with the sweetness of rum and coconut. Availability: Canada & France.
- MALIBU SUNSHINE (Since 2012) combines Malibu with a twist of lemon & lime citrus flavors. Availability: USA.
- MALIBU SUNDAE (Since June 2013) combines Malibu with rich flavors of Chocolate Ice Cream. Availability: Canada & USA.
- MALIBU SWIRL (Since June 2013) combines Malibu with flavors of Fresh Strawberries and Whipped Cream. Availability: USA.
There are also 5 Standard MALIBU FLAVOURS: Tropical Banana, Pineapple, Passion Fruit, Island Melon & Mango. Availability: Canada, USA and some flavors are in Europe excluding UK - Passion Fruit is available in France & Pineapple is available in Spain.
Malibu also do a limited winter edition and summer edition of its original flavor bottle in the UK every year. In the winter of 2012 it introduced Malibu Snow-Coco with real coconut flakes that swirl throughout, like a winter snowstorm.
- Official website
- Popular information about Malibu Rum
- West Indies Rum Distillery Ltd.
- Photo of West Indies Rum Distillery Ltd. on Brighton's Beach, St. Michael
- Malibu Rum on Facebook
- @malibu_rum on Twitter
- Malibu Rum's channel on YouTube