|Elevation||178 m (584 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Website||www . Malkangiri. Nic.in|
Malkangiri is a town and a Notified Area Council (NAC) in Malkangiri district in the Indian state of Odisha. It is the headquarters of the Malkangiri district. Malkangiri is the new home of the Bangladeshi refugees, who were rehabilitated since 1965 under the Dandakaranya project. Also some Sri Lankan Tamil refugees were rehabilitated in Malkangiri town, following the armed struggle of LTTE in the early 90's (most of them have returned, baring a couple of house holds). Currently it is one of the most naxalite-affected areas of the state and is a part of the Red Corridor.
Malkangiri is located at  It has an average elevation of 170 m (560 ft)..
As of 2001[update] India census, Malkangiri had a population of 23,110. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Malkangiri has an average literacy rate of 57%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 65%, and female literacy is 48%. In Malkangiri, 15% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Current MLA from Malkangiri Assembly (SC) Constituency is Nimal Chandra Sarkar of INC, who won the seat in 2004. Previous MLAs from this seat were Arabinda Dhali of BJP in 2000 and in 1995, Naka Kanaya who won it for JD in 1990 and for JNP in 1977, Nadiabasi Biswas of INC in 1985, Naka Laxmaya of INC(I) in 1980.
- "83 districts under the Security Related Expenditure Scheme". IntelliBriefs. 2009-12-11. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Malkangiri
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "State Elections 2004 - Partywise Comparison for 86-Malkangiri Constituency of Odisha". Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-09-15.
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies of Odisha". Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-09-15.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Malkangiri.|