Mall of Asia Arena
|Mall of Asia Arena|
The Mall of Asia Arena facade
|Location||Bay City, Pasay City, Philippines|
|Opened||June 16, 2012|
|Owner||SM Prime Holdings|
|Construction cost||₱3.6 billion|
Full house: 20,000
Shakey's V-League (2013-Present)
Mall of Asia Arena is an indoor arena within the SM Mall of Asia complex, in Pasay, Philippines. It has a seating capacity of 16,000 for sporting events, and a full house capacity of 20,000. The Arena officially opened on June 16, 2012. It has retractable seats and a 2,000-capacity car park building.
The Mall of Asia Arena is the alternative venue of the Philippine Basketball Association when the Smart Araneta Coliseum is unavailable. The Arena is also the new home of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines.
Notable events at the Mall of Asia Arena
Lady Gaga held the first concert at the arena with her 2 night concerts Born This Way Ball tour in May 21–22, 2012 and other International artists such as Rihanna, Jennifer Lopez, Nicki Minaj, Alicia Keys, Aerosmith, Paramore, BIGBANG, 2PM, Jonas Brothers, Taylor Lautner, Zac Efron and Super Junior. Regine Velasquez is the first local artist to perform at the Arena.
The Mall of Asia Arena serves as one of the playing venues of the Philippine Basketball Association, National Collegiate Athletic Association (Philippines), UAAP and the Shakey's V-League.
The PBA's B-Meg Llamados and the Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters played the first basketball game at the arena on July 7, 2012 as part of the 2012 PBA Governors Cup semifinals. The UAAP's 2012 opening game between the NU Bulldogs and UE Red Warriors on July 14, 2012 was the arena's first college basketball game. The first game of the 2012 UAAP basketball finals was played at the arena in front of 20,686 people. The DLSU Lady Spikers or De La Salle University Women's Volleyball Team is the first team in any Philippine Sports tournament or league to celebrate the first ever championship in the arena last March 6, 2013 in front of 18,779 cheering crowd followed by the De La Salle Green Archers last October 12, 2013 in front of 23,305 cheering crowd.
The PBA's first doubleheader in the arena on October 17, 2012 was marked by a looting incident at the Meralco Bolts' locker room. A day later, the arena hosted the National Collegiate Athletic Association's first game of its finals series against the San Beda Red Lions and the Letran Knights.
The Mall of Asia Arena served as the main venue for the 2013 FIBA Asia Championship while the Ninoy Aquino Stadium was the second venue for the tournament, which was held on August 1–11, 2013. It had a 19,989 attendance at the final game between the host Philippines and Iran.
- The Arena elevates viewing to a new level, Sharon Robas-Macawile, Philippine Daily Inquirer, April 14, 2012
- OPM Icons shine at MOA Arena, Ed Uy, The Manila Times, June 24, 2012
- All eyes on the Arena, Malaya, June 7, 2012
- "SM MALL OF ASIA ARENA OPENS FOR LADY GAGA CONCERT - SM Investments Corporation". 18 May 2012.
- Mall of Asia Arena Premier Suites
-  SM Arena: Home of NCAA 88, UAAP Season 75 Retrieved 06 July 2011
- "New SM arena to host majority of UAAP basketball games". InterAKTV. 13 May 2012.
- "Born This Way Ball Tour: Lady Gaga live in Manila 2012". Philippine Concerts. 14 March 2012. Retrieved September 2, 2012.
- http://ph.news.yahoo.com/cnn-recommended-foursome-concert-sets-repeat-033136711.html. Missing or empty
- Giongco, Mark (2012-10-17). "Meralco team suffers double black eye as dugout gets ransacked". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- "Asian exec on host’s FIBA Asia bid: ‘5th-ranked Phl needs its best’". Philstar Sports. January 29, 2013.
- "NBA To Stage First Ever Preseason Game". Mall Of Asia Arena. March 15, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mall of Asia Arena.|