Malladihalli Sri Raghavendra Swamiji
|Malladihalli Sri Raghavendra Swamiji|
a small village, Kerala, India
|Occupation||Yoga, Ayurveda, Educator|
Raghavendra Swami of Malladihalli ( Kannada: ಮಲ್ಲಾಡಿಹಳ್ಳಿ ಶ್ರೀ ರಾಘವೇಂದ್ರ ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ) (1890–1996), popularly known as "Malladihalli Swamiji", was the founder of Anatha Sevashrama Trust, Malladihalli. He taught yoga to more than 4.5 million people all over the world keeping his base as Malladihalli in Chitradurga district, a tiny village in Karnataka, India, approximately 250 kilometers from Bangalore, India.
Raghavendra Swami, was born in a small village located in Kerala, to Anantha Padmanabha Namboodari, and mother Padmambal. He was their only child. His parents named him Kumaraswamy. Later, urged by the head priest of Mantralaya Mutt, his name was changed to Raghavendra.
He was ailing in his childhood. He was adopted by Puthali Bai and Narasimhaiah on the advice of Bhirthi Ramachandra Shastry after death of his mother. Anantha Padmanabha, leaving his son in the care of the foster parents went on a pilgrimage to Himalayas.
Raghavendra's health gradually improved, and his foster parents began sending him to school. He performed well in every subject, except English. He was very fond of music, and learnt Carnatic music. He learned singing Bhajans and devotional songs. As a school boy he participated and acted in many plays, Yakshagana, and Thala Maddale.
Kumaraswamy started his association with K. Shivaram Karanth, a budding artist, who later, acquired the skills of drama, and its intricate styles, at the Amba Prasaditha Nataka Company, in Tumkur. Shivaram Karanth took Raghavendra to Ranganatha Thamankar, who offered him a job as a clerk at his drama company. He was entrusted with the sales of tickets and disbursement of salaries and wages to the staff of the drama company. Later during this period, he received yoga instruction from Palani Swamy, a practitioner of hatha yoga. Later he left his job.
He met Shivananda Swami and was impressed by him. He was later introduced to Baroda professor Manekrao, who had taught Shivananda Swami physical exercises and the use of weapons, as a disciple. Manekrao (1878–1954) had acquired knowledge from his preceptor Jumma Dada, who lived up to the age of one hundred and thirty six years. Kumaraswamy learnt various martial arts under the guidance of Manekrao.
He claimed that he had treated more than 3 million people for various diseases with ayurvedic medicines, and yoga without any surgery. He built an Ayurvedic hospital at Malladihalli and Vishwa Yoga Mandir (World Yoga Trust) and various educational institutions, on a non-profit basis.
The State Government of Karnataka and the Central Government of India gave him several awards but he declined to accept them.
He was the author of books on yoga and ayurveda, as well as on Kannada literature, drama, music,etc., published under the pen name of Thiruka. Some of his writings have been included in school text books in Karnataka.
- Surya Namaskara (ಸೂರ್ಯ ನಮಸ್ಕಾರ)
- Surya Namaskara (Salutations to the Sun—English)
- Surya Namaskara (pictures, chart)
- Pranayama (ಪ್ರಾಣಾಯಾಮ)
- Pranayama (English)
- Angamardhana (ಅಂಗಮರ್ದನ)
- Dehaswasthyakkagi Yogasanagalu (ದೆಹ ಸ್ವಸ್ಥ್ಯಕ್ಕಾಗಿ ಯೋಗಾಸನಗಳು)
- Dehaswasthyakkagi Yogasanagalu (Yogasanas for good health—English)
- Katharoopaka Yogasana (ಕಥಾರೂಪಕ ಯೋಗಾಸನ)
- Shatkarmavidhi (ಶಟ್ಕರ್ಮವಿಧಿ)
- Sarvangasundara Vyayama (Kannada)
- Gurunamaskara (ಗುರುನಮಸ್ಕಾರ)
- Gurunamaskara (English)
- Pranayama for Body and Soul (English) 1988. XIV, 90 S.: Ill
- Bruhad Yoga Darshana (ಬೃಹದ್ ಯೋಗದರ್ಶನ)
- Swayum Vaidhya (Ayurvedic Encyclopedia) (ಸ್ವಯಂ ವೈದ್ಯ)
- Aushadhi Ayurveda Chikitsa Sangraha (ಔಷಧಿ ಆಯುರ್ವೇದ ಚಿಕಿತ್ಸಾ ಸಂಗ್ರಹ)
- Gruha Vaidhya Kaipidi (ಗೃಹ ವೈದ್ಯ ಕೈಪಿಡಿ)
- Vanaushadhigala Gunadharma (ವನೌಷಧಿಗಳ ಗುಣಧರ್ಮ)
- Koneya Gutuku (ಕೊನೆಯ ಗNicknemerುಟುಕು)
- Mooleya Handara (ಮೂಳೆಯ ಹಂದರ)
- Chiteyo Samaadiyo (ಚಿತೆಯೋ ಸಮಾಧಿಯೋ)
- Udayastha (ಉದಯಾಸ್ಥ)
- Soothrada Bombe (ಸೂತ್ರದ ಬೊಂಬೆ)
- Rasarushi (ರಸಋಷಿ)
- Thyagajeevi (ತ್ಯಾಗಜೀವಿ)
- Changaoli Cheluva (ಚಂಗೋಳಿ ಚೆಲುವ)
- Ranachandi (ರಣಚಂಡಿ)
- Mahakavi Bharavi (ಮಹಾಕವಿ ಭಾರವಿ)
- Nyayamantri (ನ್ಯಾಯಮಂತ್ರಿ)
- Usha Swayumvara (ಉಶಾ ಸ್ವಯಂವರ)
- Vanamahotsava (ವನಮಹೋತ್ಸವ)
- Thirunama (ತಿರುನಾಮ)
- Sukhee Raajya (ಸುಖೀ ರಾಜ್ಯ)
- KarmaYogi (ಕರ್ಮ ಯೋಗಿ)
- Uddara (ಉದ್ಧಾರ)
- Bhakta Shabari (ಭಕ್ತ ಶಬರಿ)
- Joligeya Pavada(ಜೋಳಿಗೆಯ ಪವಾಡ)
- Athma Nivedane (ಆತ್ಮ ನಿವೇದನೆ)
- Athma Nivedane (English)
- Bhava Bindu (ಭಾವ ಬಿಂದು)
- Bruhadyoga Darshana (Collections from expert saints) (ಬೃಹದ್ ಯೋಗ ದರ್ಶನ)
- Devaru Yaaru? (ದೇವರು ಯಾರು)