Malling Church with a wall-section of the medieval fortifications.
|Part of Aarhus Municipality||1970|
|Population (1. January 2012)|
|Population has always increased throughout Mallings recorded history.|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+1)|
|Area code(s)||(+45) 56|
Malling is situated only 5 kilometers (3.1 mi) from the ocean, surrounded by hills, swatches of farmland and patches of woodlands and meadows. The village is a railway town and the train station was one of the key elements in Malling's original growth from 1884 up until to the 1970's.
Malling has several green areas, with the space in front of the "SuperBrugsen" retailstore as the preferred place for general assemblies and recreation. The original town centre of Malling has been preserved, but previously important buildings such as the train station, have seen decades of decay. The most important tourist attraction is the old fortified church, where the old castle walls from 1100 AD can still be experienced. Only three other fortified medieval churches are known from the region of Østjylland; the churches in Odder, Vejlby and Mårslet. Malling Church is the only one that has been examined and excavated by archaeologists (in 1943-44).
Malling has almost merged with the village of Beder to the north - a settlement of similar size - and the two are often collectively referred to as Beder-Malling. Aarhus Municipality has a vision of building a new town for 15,000 residents just west of Malling before 2033.
Education and sports
Malling Skole is the only public school within Malling, although lots of other schools within the post code are used today. Malling Skole with its 600 pupils, remains the central school of education for all children in the Malling Region. Other educational institutions are Ajstrup Skole and Efterskolen for Scenekunst, an efterskole for performing arts since 2012 (former school of agriculture).
Egelund Idrætscenter is a sports centre in the northern part of Malling, next to a newly afforested area. The centre is publicly administered by elected locals organized in the BMI associationand presents sportshalls, a swimminghall, an indoor shooting range and outdoor tennis courts, archery and soccer fields. BMI is a local group of the larger umbrella organization of Idrætssamvirket Aarhus.
Industry and business
The region is a major producer of agricultural products, with many large farms in the outlying districts. Cattle, pork and grain are the main products, with a sizeable related refinement industry present. The old and large estates of Moesgård and Vilhelmsborg has dominated the agricultural business of this region for centuries, often with a common owner. Vilhelmsborg Manor and park is seated just northwest of Beder-Malling and the Moesgård Manor is in the northeast. Both manors are owned by Aarhus Municipality today. The smaller estate and manor of Østergaard is seated southwest of Malling. The train station and the railway from 1884, brought a lot of manufacturing and industry jobs to the Malling and the industrial park here is still alive today, now with light industry and businesses.
The old tavern of Malling Kro has a highly acclaimed gourmet restaurant. It serves small and large groups of both staying and visiting guests in attached locales and also operates a catering and take-away service. The restaurant is a member of both La Confrérie de la Chaîne des Rôtisseurs and L'Ordre Mondial des Gourmets Dégustateurs. Malling Kro was established by the director of nearby Beder Kro in 1884, when the railway came to town. Today, the inn hosts celebrations, Bed & Breakfast, meetings, team-building and conferences.
As a peculiarity, Malling still has a thriving cinema - Malling Bio. This is a rarity, as almost all rural cinemas in Denmark has closed decades ago. Malling Bio was established in 1943.
Malling lies under the jurisdiction of Aarhus and is therefore under direct political govern from Aarhus City Hall. The city council consists of 31 members elected for 4-year terms. Anyone eligible to vote and residing in Aarhus municipality can run for a seat on the city council.
- Kaare Norge (musician)
- Kim Andersen (former professional road bicycle racer and current cycling team directeur sportif.)
- Jacob Haugaard (comedian/politician)
- Peter Gilsfort (actor)
- "Udviklingen i Malling efter jernbanens åbning i 1884 [The development in Malling after the opening of the railway line in 1884]" (in Danish). Beder-Malling Egnsarkiv. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "BEF44: Population 1st January, by urban areas" database from Statistics Denmark
- "Den befæstede kirke ved Malling [The fortified church at Malling]" (in Danish). Danmarks Kulturarvs Forening. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "Ruin". Malling Kirke (in Danish). Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- Poul Henning Jensen (1997). Natur og Kulturguide til Århus Amt (in Danish). Århus Amt. ISBN 87-90099-19-2. . A richly illustrated popular guide to the history, nature and attractions of Århus Amt.
- "Malling Skole" (in Danish). Aarhus Kommune. Retrieved 27 December 2014.. Official homepage.
- "Ny efterskole for scenekunst" (in Danish). Efterskoleforeningen. 29 April 2011. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "Efterskolen for Scenekunst" (in Danish). Efterskolen for Scenekunst. Retrieved 27 December 2014.. Official homepage.
- "Velkommen til Beder-Malling Idrætsforening" (in Danish). Beder-Malling Idrætsforening (BMI). Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "Østergaard (Aarhus)". danskeherregårde.dk (in Danish). Dansk Center for Herregårdsforskning. 2011. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- Malling Kro
- Carsten Knudsen (26 January 2012). "Madanmeldelse: Malling Kro". AOA.dk (in Danish). Århus Stiftstidende. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- Rasmus Palsgård (5 December 2013). "Malling Kro - a hidden treasure near Aarhus". Feinschmeckeren. feinschmeckeren.dk. Retrieved 27 December 2014.. A journalistic review company dedicated to gourmet gastonomy.
- Malling Bio
- Beder-Malling Egnsarkiv. An archive on local history.
- Statisk Årsbog 2007 for Århus Kommune
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Malling.|
- Official city web portal
- Hiking paths around Beder and Malling. The Nature administration of Aarhus Municipality (2003) (Danish)
|This Danish location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|