Malte Herwig (born 2 October 1972) is a German-born author, journalist, and literary critic. His articles have appeared widely in U.S., British and German publications, including The New York Times, The Observer, Vanity Fair, Der Spiegel, Die Zeit, Süddeutsche Zeitung and Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. He studied German Literature, History and Politics at the universities of Oxford, Harvard, and Mainz, and is a former Fellow of Merton College, Oxford. In 2008, Herwig was the first to publish some of Vladimir Nabokov's original index cards from the author's last unfinished novel The Original of Laura. In the accompanying article, Herwig concluded that "Laura", although fragmentary, was "vintage Nabokov". He is the author of several books, among them a biography of Austrian poet Peter Handke and a study of he greatest Nazi cover-up in post-war Germany, "Die Flakhelfer", which will be published in English in 2014.
Herwig is also known as an interviewer, whose empathetic but also sometimes confrontational style with stars like Michael Douglas, Charlotte Rampling and Rupert Everett has won acclaim. Douglas once chided Herwig for his "cheeky questions", when the journalist asked him if he'd ever have homosexual experiences. Herwig also conducted interviews with heads of government like former German chancellor Helmut Schmidt and nobel laureates like German writer Günter Grass.
Herwig was the only journalist to get an interview with former SS-Captain Erich Priebke, which he conducted in Priebke's flat in Rome shortly before the latter's death on 11 October 2013. Referring to Hannah Arendt’s famous phrase about the Nazis when she covered the trial of Adolf Eichmann in Israel, the New York Times quoted Herwig as saying he wanted to use “the last chance to investigate that supposed banality of evil with a living person.”. Sensationally, the 100 year old Priebke told Herwig he had renounced national socialism and deeply regretted his involvement in war crimes.
- Die Flakhelfer. Wie aus Hitlers jüngsten Parteimitgliedern Deutschlands führende Demokraten wurden. DVA, München 2013, ISBN 978-3-421-04556-0
- Meister der Dämmerung. Peter Handke: Eine Biographie, München: DVA, 2010, ISBN 978-3-421-04449-5
- Eliten in einer egalitären Welt, Berlin: wjs-Verlag, 2005, ISBN 978-3-937989-11-2
- Bildungsbürger auf Abwegen. Naturwissenschaft im Werk Thomas Manns, Frankfurt am Main: Klostermann, 2004, ISBN 978-3-465-03352-3
- Malte Herwig, "Vladimir Nabokov: Sein letztes Spiel", Die Zeit, 14 August 2008.
- Malte Herwig, "Der letzte Fall", Süddeutsche Zeitung Magazin 5 October 2013.
- "" Erich Priebke, Nazi Who Carried Out Massacre of 335 Italians, Dies at 100 "The New York Times" 11 October 2013
- Official Blog
- In North Korea, Communism goes Cannes, New York Times, 21.11.2008
- Still Life: The Jailhouse Jackson Pollock. After nearly two decades in solitary confinement, convicted murderer Donny Johnson has started painting, 2007
- Google's Total Library. Putting The World's Books On The Web, 2007
- Much Ado About Tom Cruise, 2007
- "They Take The Mind, and What Emerges is Just Tapioca Pudding". Interview with thriller writer Frederick Forsyth, 2006
- 'Hitler? He was good in parts'. Malte Herwig interviews an unrepentant David Irving in his Viennese prison cell, 2006
- Sex for Sexagenarians. Movies Target Frisky Seniors