Man, Woman, Wild
|Man, Woman, Wild|
|Created by||Mykel Hawke Pierce|
|Directed by||Mark Westcott
|Presented by||Mykel Hawke
|Narrated by||Mykel Hawke
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||22|
|Executive producer(s)||David Garfinkle, Jay Renfroe, Doug McCallie, Bill Howard|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Renegade 83|
|Original channel||Discovery Channel|
|Original run||July 16, 2010– January 19, 2012|
|Related shows||Dual Survival
Man vs. Wild
Man, Woman, Wild was a cable television reality series which originally aired on the Discovery Channel from July 2010 to January 2012. The show features former US Army Special Forces survival expert, Mykel Hawke, and his television journalist wife, Ruth England, who have to survive for a half-week with limited supplies in wild and inhospitable locations around the world.
The show focuses on Hawke teaching his wife various survival skills such as starting fire without the aid of modern implements like matches and lighters, locating and treating sources of water, and eating non-traditional forms of food such as insects and wild plants. An emergency crew remained on permanent stand-by during filming and was actually utilized during the first season, for example, when England was overcome by severe heat exhaustion and dehydration in a Mexican desert.
Originally running for two seasons, Man, Woman, Wild's first episode aired on July 16, 2010, and its last episode aired on January 19, 2012. The survival series will not be renewed for a third season which was confirmed by Mykel Hawke via Facebook in January 2012. About the closure Hawke stated: "The show in it's current format was too hard on us and our family, so, we chose to stop".
- 2010-07-16, Amazon
- 2010-07-23, Botswana
- 2010-07-30, Louisiana
- 2010-08-13, Tasmania
- 2010-08-20, Mexico
- 2010-08-27, Utah
- 2010-09-03, Motukitiu, Aitutaki, Cook Islands
- 2010-09-10, Alaska (Denali National Park)
- 2010-09-17, Tennessee (The Smoky Mountains)
- 2010-09-24, Dominica
- 2011-09-02, Lost at Sea (near Bahamas)
- 2011-09-09, Louisiana Firestorm
- 2011-09-16, Amazon Jungle Maze
- 2011-09-23, Quicksand & Sinkholes (South Andros in the Bahamas)
- 2011-09-23, Volcanic Destruction (Montserrat)
- 2011-09-30, Message in a Bottle (Pearl Islands, Panama)
- 2011-10-07, High Desert Thirst (Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in California)
- 2011-10-14, Bear Encounter (Blackfeet Nation in Montana)
- 2011-12-29, Bear's Kitchen (Alaska)
- 2012-01-05, Newts and Roots (Kentucky)
- 2012-01-12, Croatian Cave Odyssey (Velebit caves and mountains, Croatia)
- 2012-01-19, Scottish Highlands Peril
- Literary Manager Ken Atchity on How 'Literary Agencies Must Change', Jeff Rivera, The Huffington Post, August 30, 2010 (Retrieved September 17, 2010)
- Christine Nyholm. [http:// examiner.com/cable-tv-in-national/couple-survives-wilderness-man-woman-wild-on-discovery-channel "Couple survives wilderness in Man Woman Wild on Discovery Channel"]. Examiner.com. Retrieved July 17, 2010.
- Man, Woman, Wild press material, Discovery.com
- Survival shows are now the fittingest on television, Gary Strauss, USA Today, August 27, 2010 (Retrieved August 28, 2010)
- Ruth England overcome by heat exhaustion and dehydration during filming of Man, Woman, Wild in Mexico: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C05E1DC1431F933A1575BC0A9669D8B63
- Mykel Hawke confirms via Facebook that Man, Woman, Wild will not be renewed for a third season: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150487798671500&id=348188571499
- Tourism shuns TV's wild man, Tim Martin, The Mercury, September 8, 2010 (Retrieved September 17, 2010)
- "Man, Woman, Wild: Bone Dry".
- "Man, Woman, Wild: Message in a Bottle".
- "Man, Woman, Wild: High Desert Thirst".
- "Man, Woman, Wild: Bear Encounter".