Man Mountain Marko
|Man Mountain Marko|
|First appearance||The Amazing Spider-Man #73 (June 1969)|
|Created by||Stan Lee
John Romita, Sr.
|Alter ego||Michael Marko|
|Team affiliations||The Maggia|
Man Mountain Marko (Michael Marko) is a Marvel Comics supervillain. Marko was and remains an affiliate of numerous organized-crime entities in the Marvel universe, including the Maggia. He was originally introduced as the right hand man of Silvermane in The Amazing Spider-Man #73 and created by Stan Lee and John Romita, Sr..
Fictional character biography
Marko is first seen as Silvermane's loyal lieutenant in an incident dealing with an ancient tablet which he steals. He attacks Conner when he thinks the formula he created has killed Silvermane. Marko is quickly defeated by Spider-Man.
Marko, along with the villains Eel, Discus and Stiletto rob the Debutante Ball of Millie Hogarth. Unfortunately, for them, Millie's father is the agent for Power Man and Iron Fist, who were called in to defeat the villains.
During a trip to gather protection money, Marko has some sort of breakdown and trashes an entire bar, with Spider-Man inside of it. Investigative reporter Ben Urich tells Spider-Man that Marko has apparently also kidnapped a child. Ben knows of a facility where Marko is known to work out. Spider-Man finds steroids in Marko's locker. The owner of the gym tells him that the Maggia genetically altered Marko in order to make him stronger. Spider-Man steals information from the Maggia and confronts Marko at his home. Eventually Marko is subdued and it turns out the kid he 'kidnapped' simply had a twisted sense of hero worship, admiring Marko's size and strength.
Man Mountain Marko is later seen as a sexually threatening hitman sent after private investigator Jessica Jones. This was part of a conspiracy by a powerful business magnate who wished to use Jones and Captain America as a way to humiliate the current President of the United States. Jones severely beats Marko, then literally throws him at the feet of the businessman, who was in the middle of a golf game. Marko and his bosses are soon arrested by Clay Quartermain and the forces of S.H.I.E.L.D.
During the Manifest Destiny storyline, Marko develops a singing career focusing on the concept of violence against female super-heroes. While on a plane with the super-hero Dazzler he becomes enraged over the perceived lack of alcohol. He injures passengers and takes a hostage, he breaks the hostage's wrist to prove he is serious. Dazzler, at low power, manages to subdue him.
During the Dark Reign storyline, Marko is later sent by Norman Osborn as part of a fact finding mission to an 'Atlas' facility run by a younger Jimmy Woo. Atlas is an international crime organization that is working against the government's interests. Marko is working as the head of a squad of B.A.T.F.E. government agents. Marko's forces including a seeming snitch that had been advising the government on the activities of Atlas. Marko, against the recommendation Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosivess of his guides, rushes off the recommended path to follow the snitch. The man is really Jimmy Woo. Before Marko can do anything about the situation, he is eaten by a sentient dragon named Lao. This was against Woo's wishes. Marko is replaced by another super-powered strongman, the Grizzly.
During the Fear Itself storyline, it is revealed that Man Mountain Marko had a cousin named Man Mountain Mario who was an inmate at the Raft. After the destruction of the Raft prison by Juggernaut, Man Mountain Mario helps defend Crossbones from the thugs. While the two of them were trying to escape, Mario told Crossbone about his grandma who helps criminals leave the border. Crossbones manages to escape from the Raft and returned the favor for Mario helping him by killing him to help with his escape.
Powers and abilities
Man Mountain Marko has been shown to have superhuman strength and endurance, roughly comparable to if not slightly exceeding that of Spider-Man. It has been said this is a result of steroids and genetic manipulation.
The Marvel Comics 2 universe shows that Marko is still active in the MC2 universe, and is in charge of the Maggia of New York. He later appears in the new Spectacular Spider-Girl series as the underling for the new Maggia Crime boss of New York.
In other media
- Man Mountain Marko appeared in the Spider-Man episode "Wrath of the Sub-Mariner" voiced by Jack Angel. He is shown to be Silvermane's henchman and was with him when Spider-Man stopped Silvermane's limo resulting in a brief fight between Spider-Man and Man Mountain Marko. He was the first to notice Spider-Man at Kingpin's meeting with Silvermane, Hammerhead, and Caesar Cicero on a yacht. He was easily defeated by Namor and later webbed by Spider-Man.
- Manning, Matthew K.; Gilbert, Laura, ed. (2012). "1960s". Spider-Man Chronicle Celebrating 50 Years of Web-Slinging. Dorling Kindersley. p. 48. ISBN 978-0756692360. "Spider-Man called the Shocker's ex-girlfriend, only to find her home under siege by a giant thug named Man Mountain Marko."
- The Amazing Spider-Man #73-75 (June-August 1969)
- Power Man and Iron Fist #61-62, 92, 110 (February 1980, April 1980, April 1983, October 1983)
- Web of Spider-Man #82 (October 1984)
- Alias #4
- Alias #5
- Alias #5 (March 2002)
- Civil War: War Crimes #1 (February 2007)
- X-Men: Manifest Destiny #5 (Jun 2009)
- Agents of Atlas Vol. 2 #1 (April 2009)
- Agents of Atlas Vol. 2 #3 (June 2009)
- Thunderbolts #159 (June 2011)
- Nick Spencer (w), Steve Lieber (p), Rachelle Rosenberg (i). "Department of Revenge-Ucation" The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #12 (4 June 2014), United States: Marvel Comics
- Amazing Spider-Girl #17
- Spectacular Spider-Girl Vol. 1 #2
- Man Mountain Marko at Marvelwikia.com
- Man Mountain Marko of Earth-982 at Marvelwikia.com
- Man Mountain Marko at Comic Vine