|Created by||Christopher Moynihan|
|Written by||Christopher Moynihan|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Christopher Moynihan
|Running time||22 mins.|
|Production company(s)||ABC Studios
Garfield Grove Productions
Bicycle Path Productions
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||October 18 – December 6, 2011|
Man Up! is an American sitcom that aired on ABC from October 18 to December 6, 2011. On December 8, ABC announced the series had been cancelled due to low ratings. Only 8 episodes were aired on television, though all 13 episodes were available online. The episodes remained online through the end of January 2012, when they were removed from ABC's website. As of March 2014, the episodes were available on the free portion of the Hulu website.
The series revolves around the lives of three guys with "questionable childish behavior and lifestyles" who decide it's time to do the one thing they had "forgotten" to do: act like "real men". But they need to "grow up" a little before that can happen, even at their age. According to an on-screen graphic at the start of the pilot, the show is set in Gahanna, Ohio.
- Amanda Detmer as Brenda Hayden
- Christopher Moynihan as Craig Griffith
- Dan Fogler as Kenny Hayden
- Henry Simmons as Grant
- Mather Zickel as Will Keen
- Teri Polo as Theresa Hayden Keen
- Jason Rogel as Henry Trunka
The series was poised to be one of the four breakout hits for the 2011-12 television season (along with CBS's 2 Broke Girls, A Gifted Man, and How to Be a Gentleman) according to advertisers who had seen the pilot. Of the four shows, only 2 Broke Girls was renewed for a second season.
- The Hollywood Reporter 's Tim Goodman noted that the actors were saddled in a sitcom world of limited potential, adding "How long can they play this joke?" and concluded that "Isn't it really time to let go of stereotypes and clichés and maybe write a sitcom that has more to joke about than one thing over and over again?"
- JAM! gave the series a "Thumbs Down," noting that "...if you're pining for the next great male sitcom, this isn't it."
- Variety 's Brian Lowry noted that "...it'll take more than sociology to pump up this stale sitcom."
- The Oregonian 's Kristi Turnquist called the show "Unfunny" in her short review.
- Fantriad 's Matt Peterson found that among a mixed gender group of 25-34 year olds, Man Up! ranked among the top 5 of weekly watched television series. The group described the show as, "a fresh take on comedy" and "laugh out loud funny," during online polls and questionnaires. Among other shows listed highly by this group were Last Man Standing and Grimm.
- TV Guide 's Matt Rouse called the series, "An insult to all genders".
The debut episode had a modest start averaging a 2.4/6 among 18-49s, with 7.80 million viewers tuning in. However, it took a hit in its second week, averaging a 2.0/5 among 18-49 with 6.78 viewers tuning in, a drop of 21% from the first episode. It also found itself among the shows that could become candidates for cancellation according to TV By The Numbers Renew/Cancel Index based on the show's ratings.
On November 18, 2011, ABC pulled Man Up! from its midseason lineup, despite a statement that it was considered a candidate for a second season pickup. However, TV by the Numbers had the series listed as "de facto canceled" as ABC had not ordered any more episodes, and eleven of the thirteen had already been produced at the time the announcement was made.
On December 8, 2011, ABC pulled Man Up! from the schedule and replaced it with Work It on January 3, 2012, leaving five episodes unaired and effectively cancelling the series altogether. (Work It would fare even worse in the Man Up! time slot, being cancelled after airing just two episodes.) ABC posted the five unaired episodes of Man Up! on the show's website as online exclusive episodes on December 13, 2011; they were removed from the website a month later.
|No.||Episode||Air date||18-49 Rating||Viewers
|1||"Pilot"||October 18, 2011||2.5||7.80||TBA|
|2||"Finessing the Bromance"||October 25, 2011||2.0||6.78||TBA|
|3||"Digging Deeper"||November 1, 2011||1.8||6.36||TBA|
|4||"Wingmen"||November 8, 2011||1.7||6.22||TBA|
|5||"Acceptance"||November 15, 2011||1.7||6.27||TBA|
|6||"High Road is the Guy Road"||November 22, 2011||1.9||6.29||TBA|
|7||"Disciplining The Keens"||November 29, 2011||1.7||6.59||TBA|
|8||"Men and Their Chickens"||December 6, 2011||1.6||4.82||TBA|
|9||"Camping"||(Unaired Online Exclusive)||—||—||—|
|10||"Fear"||(Unaired Online Exclusive)||—||—||—|
|11||"Up All Night"||(Unaired Online Exclusive)||—||—||—|
|12||"Letting Go"||(Unaired Online Exclusive)||—||—||—|
|13||"Be Who You're Not"||(Unaired Online Exclusive)||—||—||—|
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
The series was picked up in the following countries:
- In Canada by CTV Two, where it debuted at the same time as the ABC telecast.
- In Australia by Seven Network, starting in 2012.
- In Portugal by FX, starting on February 1, 2012.
- In Norway by TVNorge.
- In Italy by Fox, starting on April 6, 2012.
- In South Korea by FOXlife, starting in May 2012.
- In Thailand by Fox Asia.
- In Israel by HOT3
- In Turkey by ComedyMax HD
- "ABC's 2011-2012 Schedule: Tim Allen Is Back" from TV.com (May 17, 2011)
- Seidman, Robert. "ABC Announces Fall Series Premiere Dates: Late Starts for "Once Upon a Time", "Man Up"". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 27, 2011.
- "ABC: Even With 'Charlie's Angels,' 'Man Up!,' & 'Pan Am' Canceled, 'Body Of Proof' Is Unlikely To Survive Another Season" from TV By The Numbers (November 22, 2011)
- Upfronts: Advertisers Like 'Man Up' And '2 Broke Girls' But Slam ABC's Presentation from Deadline.com (May 19, 2011)
- List of Canceled and Renewed Scripted Shows for the 2011-12 Season from TV By The Numbers (May 14, 2012)
- "Man Up!: TV Review" by Tim Goodman, The Hollywood Reporter (October 11, 2011)
- "'Man Up!' gets thumbs down" from JAM! TV (October 14, 2011)
- "Man Up!" by Brian Lowry, Variety (October 16, 2011)
- "TV This Week: 'The Walking Dead' returns, 'Man Up!' and 'Boss' debut" by Kristi Turnquist, The Oregonian (October 15, 2011)
- "Fantriad Television Viewer Poll 2011 Edition" by The Peterson Group, Fantriad (November 7, 2011)
- TV Guide September 12-18, 2011. pg. 30.
- "TV Ratings Tuesday: 'Unforgettable' Rises; 'NCIS,' 'X Factor' Lead Night; 'Man Up' Premieres Modestly" from TV By The Numbers (October 19, 2011)
- "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'X Factor,' 'NCIS,' 'Biggest Loser,' 'Dancing,' 'Man Up!' Adjusted Up; 'Body Of Proof' Adjusted Down" from TV By The Numbers (October 26, 2011)
- "ABC: 'Man Up!' Needs To Move Its Ratings Up, Or Be Canceled" from TV By The Numbers (November 1, 2011)
- "ABC Unveils Midseason Sked" from Variety (November 18, 2011)
- Gorman, Bill (December 8, 2011). "'Man Up!' Pulled From ABC's Schedule, Replaced By 'Last Man Standing' Repeats". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 8, 2011.
- Fienberg, Daniel (January 14, 2012). "ABC yanks 'Work It' after two airings". HitFix.com. Retrieved January 14, 2012.
- from Channel Canada
- "Your first glimpse at what is new to Australian TV in 2012" from The Courier-Mail (September 3, 2011)