Management Consulting Group
|Type||Public - London Stock Exchange(LSE) under symbol MMC|
|Industry||Management consulting services|
|Founded||Chicago, USA, 1946|
|Key people||Alan Barber, Chairman
Nicholas Stagg, CEO
|Revenue||£270 million (2010)|
Management Consulting Group, PLC is a consulting company listed on the London Stock Exchange under the name MMC.
It comprises two independently managed practices:
- Alexander Proudfoot formerly known as Proudfoot Consulting (name change 2009)
- Kurt Salmon formed from the merger of Ineum Consulting (acquired 2006) and Kurt Salmon Associates acquired 2007)
The company was originally named Alexander Proudfoot PLC, after its founder. In 1993 it shortened its name to Proudfoot PLC. In January, 2001 it changed its name to the current name of Management Consulting Group, PLC.
Alexander Proudfoot founded the Alexander Proudfoot Company in Chicago on 25 February 1946. Fascinated by the challenges of consulting but disenchanted by the way they operated, Proudfoot decided to create a new form of consulting service. He had two main criteria:
- sell a unique, proprietary product that would produce tangible results with benefits far exceeding the cost.
- only accept assignments for which the client made him responsible for installing the programme.
The founder also belonged to the tradition of consultancy that uses philosophy as a guide to best practice. The consulting approach he formulated for his company was particularly influenced by the philosophy of Socrates, Aristotle, and Plato. This philosophical approach governed both consulting engagements and internal management.
Kurt Salmon is a global management and strategy consulting firm formed by the merger of Ineum Consulting and Kurt Salmon Associates (KSA) in January 2011:
- Ineum Consulting was formed as a spin off from Deloitte France's consulting division, and was specialized in corporate strategy, organization, and information systems issues. By the time of the merger, the firm had approximately 1,300 employees in Algeria, Australia, France, Belgium, Morocco, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Tunisia, United Kingdom and the United States.
- KSA, specialized in the retail, consumer goods and health care sectors, was among the first consulting firms established in the United States (in the early 1930s).