Manan Trivedi meeting with potential voters during the 2010 Democratic Primary
May 22, 1974 |
|Alma mater||University of California - Los Angeles (M.P.P.)
Boston University School of Medicine (M.D.)
Boston University (B.A.)
|Occupation||Primary Care Physician; Fmr. Lt. Commander, United States Navy|
Early life, education and career
Trivedi was born and raised in Fleetwood, Pennsylvania and was the valedictorian at his high school. He went to Boston University for college and medical school, completing a Masters in Public Policy at UCLA. He is currently employed as a board-certified doctor of internal medicine at The Reading Hospital and Medical Center in West Reading, Pennsylvania. Before running for Congress, Trivedi served as a Health Care Advisor to the Obama for America campaign.
During the Iraq War, Trivedi served as a battalion surgeon with the United States Marine Corps. He earned the Combat Action Ribbon, the Navy Commendation Medal, and his unit was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation.
Trivedi won the Democratic nomination for Pennsylvania's 6th congressional district again in 2012. He received the endorsement of Democracy for America, and was selected as one of their Dean Dozen. In the general election, he was again defeated by Gerlach.
Manan Trivedi considers himself pro-choice, supports same sex marriage, supports providing tax incentives to businesses for job creation, supports federal regulations of greenhouse gases, opposes repealing 2010 Affordable Care Act, opposes requiring illegal immigrants to return to their country of origin before they are eligible for citizenship, and opposes privatizing social security.
- Citizens for Global Solutions
- Democracy For America
- Democracy For America
- Equality Pennsylvania
- NARAL Pro-Choice America
- Pennsylvania AFL-CIO
- Pennsylvania National Organization of Women
- Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates
- Progressive Change Campaign Committee
- Sierra Club
- United Steelworkers
- Farrell, Joelle (February 21, 2010). "Chester County Democrats Endorse Trivedi". Philadelphia Inquirer.[dead link]
- Thomas Fitzgerald (19 July 2011). "Reading physician, an Iraq vet, to challenge Gerlach". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- Farrell, Joelle (May. 20, 2010). "Trivedi Wins 6th District Nod, and Gerlach Takes Aim". Philadelphia Inquirer. [dead link]
- Urban, Mike (July 2, 2003). "War Leaves Indelible Images on the Mind". Reading Eagle.
- "Manan Trivedi Biography". NRI Political Biographies. June 7, 2010.
- "Indian-American wins Democratic primary in Philadelphia". The Times of India. May 20, 2010.
- Mosqueda-Fernandez, Sara (November 7, 2012). "Gerlach beats Trivedi in Sixth Congressional District". Mainline Media News.
- "Pro-Marriage Equality Candidates". Daily Kos. October 31, 2012.
- "Manan Trivedi's Political Positions". Vote Smart. October 31, 2012.
- "Manan Trivedi's Special Interest Group Ratings". Vote Smart. October 31, 2012.