Manatee High School
|Manatee High School|
|902 33rd Street Court West
Bradenton, Florida, 34205
|School district||Manatee County School District|
|Color(s)||Red, White and Blue
|Accreditation||Southern Association, Florida Department of Education|
|Manatee High School's Davis Building|
Manatee High School currently offers an academic curriculum known as the AP+ Program. In essence, this is simply an official title given to students who take a certain number of Advanced Placement courses. Manatee also offers a Dual-Enrollment program which arranges for its students to take courses at the local State College of Florida, Manatee–Sarasota (formerly Manatee Community College). In 2006 and 2007, Manatee received a grade of D (on an A-F scale) in the Florida Department of Education rating of school quality. In 2008, Manatee was able to demonstrate statistical improvement, and was given a grade of A instead. In 2009, Manatee was demoted to B. In 2010, Manatee regained their A rating, becoming the highest rated high school in Manatee and Sarasota Counties.
Over its long history, Manatee's buildings have change drastically. The most recent redesign was the demolition and reconstruction of the Davis Building. The original building was built in 1926 and served as Manatee High School's iconic facade until 2010, when the Manatee County School Board deemed a new building necessary. It was crucial for the new building to retain the historic six white columns and brick that served the community for 84 years. The building features a state-of-the-art auditorium, fully equipped music suite, 25 classrooms, and a large atrium in the main foyer. In 1997 a major redesign that included new classrooms, a science-technology building, gym, and administration building was constructed.
Clubs offered at Manatee include:
- Academic Team
- Anime Anonymous
- African American Cultural Arts
- American Sign Language
- Anchor Club
- Art Club
- AV Club
- Ballroom Dancing
- CROP (College Reach-out Program)
- Drama Club
- FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes)
- FCCLA (Family, Career and Community Leaders of America)
- Foreign Language Club
- Freshman Class Board
- FBA (Future Builders of America)
- FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America)
- HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America)
The name for the school newspaper is derived from the school's former name, Manatee County High School, using the first two letters from each word to create "Macohi". Currently in its 94th volume, the Macohi began as "The Oracle", while the yearbook was named the Macohi. In 1990, the paper was awarded a Silver Crown Newspaper (for high schools) by the Columbia Scholastic Press Association.
- Ryan Allis - founder and CEO of iContact.
- Bill Anderson - NFL tight end.
- Kelly Cassidy - congresswoman from Illinois.
- Tommie Frazier - college football player at Nebraska.
- David Lawrence Jr. - journalist.
- Brian McRae - MLB center fielder.
- Dan Miller - former congressman representing Florida's 13th congressional district.
- Chris Perez, MLB relief pitcher
- Ace Sanders - NFL wide receiver for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- Robby Stevenson - kicker for the Florida Gators.
- Richard Trapp - wide receiver in the AFL prior to the NFL merger.
- Former head football coach David Braine went on to become a college athletic director, most recently at Georgia Tech.
- Former assistant football coach Danny Hope went on to become the head coach at Purdue.
- Former assistant football coach Hootie Ingram went on to become athletic director at FSU.
- Former volunteer assistant girl's cross country coach Ellen Jaffe Jones went on to become a journalist and author.
- Baseball (boys)
- State champs - 1925, 1931, 1932, 1942 & 1963
- Basketball (boys and girls)
- Cheerleading (girls)
- Competitive Cheerleading (girls)
- State champs - 2013
- Cross country (boys and girls)
- Football (boys)
- State champs - 1983, 1985, 1989, 1992 & 2011
- Golf (boys and girls)
- Soccer (boys and girls)
- Softball (girls)
- Swimming and diving (boys and girls)
- Tennis (boys and girls)
- Boys state champ - 1985
- Track (boys and girls)
- Boys state champs - 1955-1957
- Volleyball (girls)
- Weightlifting (boys and girls)
- Boys state champ - 1990
- Wrestling (boys)
- School District of Manatee County Florida
- School Accountability Report
- White, Dale (11 February 1996). "Redesign Gives Old High School A Newer Look The $18.15 Million Renovation Of Manatee High Includes A Science-Technology Building, New Classrooms And A Gym.(Local/State)". Sarasota Herald Tribune.[dead link]
- Welcome to edline.net
- [dead link]
- Home | Columbia Scholastic Press Association
- Withers, Tom (June 11, 2012). "Holmes Beach native Chris Perez is rockin' reliever for Cleveland Indians". Beadenton Herald. Retrieved April 12, 2014.
- Manatee High School