Liverpool Street in Manchester
Location of Manchester in Pittsburgh
|• Total||0.72 km2 (0.279 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,900/km2 (7,600/sq mi)|
Manchester Historic District
|Area||51.6 acres (20.9 ha). Irregular pattern contained with Faulsey, Chateau, Franklin, and Bidwell Streets.|
|Architectural style||Late Victorian|
|NRHP Reference #||75001611|
|Added to NRHP||September 18, 1975|
|Designated CPHD||July 30, 1979|
Manchester is a neighborhood on Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania's North Side. It has a ZIP code of 15233, and has representation on Pittsburgh City Council by the council member for District 6 (Northshore/Downtown Neighborhoods). The Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire houses 37 Engine and their foam unit in Manchester. The neighborhood includes the Manchester Historic District, which protects, to some degree, 609 buildings over a 51.6-acre (20.9 ha) area. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
The Manchester Historic District is Pittsburgh's largest historic district under the National Register of Historic Places, preserved for its early 19th century-built Late Victorian-style houses.
Manchester was rated as one of the top 10 neighborhoods for "being close to everything" because it's walkable and has easy access to public transportation and major roadways.
The Three Rivers Heritage Trail System runs along Manchester.
Manchester is almost exclusively residential. As of the 2010 Census, there were 2,130 people residing in Manchester. According to a report created by the University Center for Social and Urban Research, 46.3% of houses were families while 55.7% were nonfamily households. The median sales price for homes in Manchester for Nov 12 to Jan 13 was $172,350. This represents an increase of 36.8%, or $46,350, compared to the prior quarter and an increase of 48.6% compared to the prior year. Sales prices have appreciated 94.7% over the last 5 years in Manchester, Pittsburgh. The median sales price of $172,350 for Manchester is 29.68% higher than the median sales price for Pittsburgh PA. Average price per square foot for homes in Manchester was $54 in the most recent quarter, which is 43.75% lower than the average price per square foot for homes in Pittsburgh.
Manchester's schools are within the Pittsburgh Public School District.
Surrounding Pittsburgh neighborhoods
Anderson Manor, built circa 1830, at 1423 Liverpool Street.
Hoene-Werle House, built in 1887, at 1313–1315 Allegheny Avenue.
- "PGHSNAP 2010 Raw Census Data by Neighborhood". Pittsburgh Department of City Planning PGHSNAP Utility. 2012. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "NPS Focus". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. Retrieved April 27, 2010.
- "Local Historic Designations". Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation. Retrieved 2011-08-09.
- Historic Landmark Plaques 1968-2009. Pittsburgh, PA: Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation. 2010. Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- "Pittsburgh Public Schools". Retrieved 8 February 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Manchester (Pittsburgh).|
- Interactive Pittsburgh Neighborhoods Map
- Manchester Historic Society
- Manchester Citizen's Corporation
- Mexican War Streets Society
- Carnegie Science Center
- Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
- Manchester Craftmen's Guild
- City Council District 6
- Manchester Youth Development Center