Mandarin is a lengthy Robert Elegant novel published by Simon & Schuster in 1983. It is set in China during the Taiping Rebellion.
||This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2008)
- Saul Haleevie - an Orthodox rabbi and Shanghai silk merchant.
- Sarah - Saul's worrisome wife.
- Fronah - Saul and Sarah's daughter.
- Aisek Lee - a Chinese silk merchant and partner of Saul Haleevie born into Judaism. He becomes imprisoned and Saul, Aaron, and David try to bribe government officials to get him out of prison.
- Aaron - Aisek's son.
- David - Aisek's son.
- Lionel - Fronah's first husband, who becomes an opium addict and dies.
- Gabriel Hyde - Fronah's second husband, who has a Jewish mother.
- Yehenala - ambitious, clever, and beautiful concubine who manipulates the corrupt emperor into having his first child by her.
- ^ Robert S. Elegant (1 January 1983). Mandarin. Simon and Schuster.