Mando Diao 2011.
|Origin||Borlänge, Dalarna County, Sweden|
|Genres||Indie rock, garage rock|
|Labels||Universal, Nettwerk, Mute, EMI, Majesty|
Mando Diao is a rock band from Borlänge, Sweden. The band got their breakthrough with the release of the album Hurricane Bar. Their main fan base is in Sweden, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Japan. Band members are Gustaf Norén (vocals, guitar), Björn Dixgård (vocals, guitar), Carl-Johan Fogelklou (bass) and Mats Björke (keyboards).
The roots of Mando Diao date back to 1999 when Björn Dixgård (vocals, guitar) and Daniel Haglund (keyboard) played in a band called Butler, which they had founded in the middle of the 1990s. In 1996, Gustaf Norén (vocals, guitar), joined the band. In 1999, Carl-Johan Fogelklou (bass, backing vocals) and Samuel Giers (drums) became members and completed the original band. The current line-up decided to take the project more seriously. Björn Dixgård and Gustaf Norén locked themselves up in a summer house and spent 14 months writing songs. They claim the Beatles as their original source of inspiration. Allegedly, Gustaf joined the band after he and Björn had talked all night about this band. The two renamed their band Mando Diao, a name that appeared to Björn Dixgård in a dream in which a man came up to him and shouted "Mando Diao!".
The now-renamed band made their first public performances in the clubs of their hometown Borlänge in 1999. A local writer described them in an article as the best unsigned band he had ever seen. This was soon followed by a record deal with EMI Sweden. After the release of their debut album Bring 'Em In in 2002, the band began touring Sweden and other Scandinavian countries together with local bands as The Hellacopters or Kent.
Daniel Haglund left the band in 2003, due to some minor disputes, and was replaced by Mats Björke.
With every album release, the band's international success increased; in 2007 Mando Diao appeared for the first time as headliner on a music festival, the Live Earth concert in Hamburg.
After the recording of Above And Beyond - MTV unplugged, Samuel Giers left the band in the beginning of 2011. Since September 2011, Mando Diao is supported by Patrik Heikinpieti (drums) and Daniel Haglund (guitar, keyboard).
In 2011, Gustaf Norén and Björn Dixgård began working on poems written by the Swedish poet Gustaf Fröding, and setting them to music. The result, their first album in Swedish, Infruset, was highly rated and appreciated all over Europe even before the official release . On October 28, 2012, the world premiere was broadcast as a live cinema event - Mando Diao live på bio in theaters and cinemas in Sweden, Germany and Switzerland.
Infruset has turned out to be the band´s most successful album in Sweden: it has won a Swedish Grammis award, sold four times platinum in Sweden, and the single "Strövtåg i hembygden" has been in the Swedish top ten charts for one year in November 2013. It is also Mando Diao´s first album which has entered the Norwegian charts. Due to their success, the band was awarded with the Swedish Rockbjörnen, a fan award, as best livegroup in 2013.
In September 2002, their first album Bring 'Em In was released in Sweden. It contains early demo versions of their songs, partly recorded in the basement of keyboardist Daniel Haglund. In 2003, the album was released internationally by MUTE label, along with their debut single Sheepdog.
As of 2004, the band is hailed enthusiastically by the music press as one of the most sanguine newcomer bands of the year. Their second album Hurricane Bar was released in March 2004  and became an immediate international success. Their third album, Ode to Ochrasy, was released on August 24, 2006  and again was praised by the international music press, being unanimously described as the band's best album. By the end of 2006, the band released a DVD called Down in the Past, a documentary of the band's history, accompanied by rare interviews, concert snippets, backstage videos and unreleased songs. Ode to Ochrasy was released in the UK through the Nettwerk label on April 2, 2007, in a previously unreleased format including 4 bonus tracks. On October 26, 2007, the band released their fourth album Never Seen The Light Of Day.
Their fifth album, Give Me Fire, was released on February 13, 2009. The album's first single, Dance with Somebody, was released on January 9, 2009, and became the most sold single and most popular song of Mando Diao so far. The Malevolence Of Mando Diao 2002 - 2007 is a collection of B-sides and previously unreleased songs and was released on October 12, 2009. On November 12, 2010, the recording of their MTV Unplugged performance, Above And Beyond - MTV Unplugged, was released as CD and DVD. In December 2011, the band published Ghosts&Phantoms, a Christmas calendar for download, containing 24 non-released songs. Due to the calendar's success, Ghosts&Phantoms was released as vinyl LP limited edition. Mando Diao's Greatest Hits Volume 1 album was released on January 6, 2012, representing a collection of the band's best known songs.
Infruset, was released on October 31, 2012. It is the band's first album in their mother tongue, ten poems of Swedish poet Gustaf Fröding set to music. The album Infruset Guld, containing new Swedish songs and studio versions, was released on June 5, 2013.
A new album called Aelita was released in April 2014. Their first single "Black Saturday" was released in Sweden on January 11. In contrast to earlier records of the band, Aelita belongs to the electronic rock genre.
Mando Diao has been touring all over the world, though their biggest following is in Germany, Japan, and their homeland Sweden. In 2004/2005, they started a tour with appearances at big music festivals in Germany, Austria and Hungary. The band supported The Bravery on their tour in 2005, along with the Los Angeles band The Colour. On their 2006 European tour, they were supported by Razorlight and Johnossi, and for the British leg of the tour they were a joint support act for the Dirty Pretty Things along with Larrikin Love.
At the end of January 2007, Mando Diao were widely covered in the Swedish media because of an incident at their live concert on January 27, 2007. They were performing at the Amplified festival at Norrlands Opera House in Umeå when a part of the floor the audience was standing on collapsed, leaving at least 25 fans hurt. Five people were taken to the hospital with injuries such as broken arms and legs. According to the management of Norrlandsoperan, the hall had been checked, but they had never thought the floor, consisting of several moveable parts on concrete girders over a three meter deep hole, wouldn't hold the 170 people in the room, since the fire department had given them approval for 800 people. After this unfortunate event, Mando Diao stayed in Umeå in case they could do anything to help the injured fans. They also visited the hospitalized fans personally.
Mando Diao appeared April 29, 2007 at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival and on July 7, 2007 they performed at the German leg of Live Earth in Hamburg. Since the summer of 2007, Mando Diao has had support from a horn section consisting of renowned Swedish jazz musicians Nils Janson and Nils Berg.
Björn Dixgård toured Europe solo during the end of 2007.
On November 3, 2008, the band played one US date for the "Give Me Fire" tour with the Capshuns and We Barbarians at the Troubadour in Los Angeles.
On September 2, 2010, they recorded an MTV Unplugged concert at Union Film-Studios in Berlin, featuring guest appearances by Daniel Haglund, Ray Davies, Klaus Voormann, Juliette Lewis and Lana Del Rey. The concert was released on CD and DVD in late 2010.
In the summer of 2012, Mando Diao had appearances at four open air festivals in Croatia, Italy, Czech Republic and Hungary.
Mando Diao has been touring Sweden in the winter of 2013; a Swedish summer tour, "Folksparkturné", has been following in the summer of 2013.
As of late 2011, Björn Dixgård and Gustaf Norén have a new side project with the Salazar Brothers, called Caligola. The project's first single, "Sting of Battle", was released on December 27, 2011, followed by the first album, Back to Earth, on February 24, 2012. The second single "Forgive Forget" was certified gold in Germany in May 2012.
- 2002: Bring 'Em In
- 2004: Hurricane Bar
- 2006: Ode to Ochrasy
- 2007: Never Seen the Light of Day
- 2009: Give Me Fire!
- 2012: Infruset
- 2014: Ælita
- "Mando Diao - Künstlerseite". Musikexpress.de. 2011-11-25. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Mando Diao – laut.de – Band". Laut.de. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Mando Diao Künstlerseite (Biografie, Artikel, Rezensionen, Alben, Fans, Community)". Motor.de. 2011-01-03. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Ödesmättad poesi som dröjer sig kvar | Musik - Recensioner | Musik | Nöjesbladet | Aftonbladet". Aftonbladet.se. 2012-10-26. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Mando Diao das neue Brett: Infruset". Elixic.de. 2011-09-14. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Folkets Hus och Parker - Konsertfilm: Mando Diao". Fhp.nu. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Event - Mando Diao Documentary & Concert - CineStar - , Leipzig - 28.10.2012". Diginights. 2012-10-28. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Live-Streaming des Konzertes aus Schweden: Mando Diao - infruset | Cinématte - Restaurant Bar Kino - Bern". Cinematte.ch. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Mando Diao - Bring 'Em In (Vinyl, LP, Album) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Southside Festival". Eclat-mag.de. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- ""Bring 'Em In" von Mando Diao – laut.de – Album". Laut.de. 2011-11-16. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Mando Diao - Hurricane Bar (Vinyl, LP, Album) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Mando Diao - Ode To Ochrasy (CD, Album) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Mando Diao: Ode To Ochrasy - Mutig klein - Wiener Zeitung Online". Wienerzeitung.at. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Bandhistorie Mando Diao Biografie & Diskografie". Was-war-wann.de. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Platten | Mando Diao | Ode To Ochrasy". visions.de. 2006-08-25. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- " Forum: Mando Diao - Down in the past DVD". Plattentests.de. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Mando Diao - Ode to Ochrasy (UK only) - news, lyrics, pictures, reviews, biography, videos, best songs, discography, concerts, gossip, pictures and tour dates". Nme.com. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Mando Diao - Never Seen The Light Of Day (CD, Album) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Mando Diao - Give Me Fire! (CD, Album) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Mando Diao - Dance With Somebody - Music Charts". Acharts.us. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "MANDO DIAO // The Malevolence Of Mando Diao 2002-2007 +++ EMI Music". Emimusic.at. 2011-12-20. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Mando Diao – Above And Beyond (MTV Unplugged) (2010) » download by". Newalbumreleases.net. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- ""Greatest Hits Volume 1" von Mando Diao – laut.de – Album". Laut.de. 2011-11-16. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Official Homepage of Mando Diao". Retrieved 2012-10-05. "The new Album "Infruset" coming soon! The Album is Mando Diao featuring the swedish poetry of Gustaf Fröding."
- "Lyssna på Mando Diao - Black Saturday".
- "Mando Diao Tickets Mando Diao Tour Mando Diao Tickets Mando Diao Konzerte Mando Diao Tourdaten von ticketbande". Ticketbande.eu. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "FM4 Frequency Festival – Salzburgwiki" (in German). Salzburg.com. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Thursday 31/05/05 The Bravery, Mando Diao, The Colour @ Academy, Manchester". Gigwise. 2005-06-02. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Mando Diao Tour 2006 - Konzerte Forum". ringrocker.com. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Dirty Pretty Things - Fan Lexikon". Fan-lexikon.de. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- Floor Collapse At Sweden’s Amplified Festival
- [dead link]
- "MSN Music". Liveearth.msn.com. Retrieved 2012-04-01.
- "Björn Dixgard in der alten Feuerwache | Review/Bericht". regioactive.de. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Rockhal: MANDO DIAO (ACOUSTIC TOUR 2011)". Rockhal.lu. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- Dirk Hein (2012-02-27). "Mando Diao zeigt in Oberhausen Kraft und Seele | WAZ.de" (in German). Derwesten.de. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- [dead link]
- "Danke, Mando Diao!". volksfreund.de. 2012-12-07. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- Steffen Hung. "Die Offizielle Schweizer Hitparade und Music Community". Hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Mando Diao Tour Dates 2013 — Mando Diao Concert Dates and Tickets". Songkick. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- Av Daniel MagnussonFoto: Håkan Moberg. "Mando Diao och Salazar Brothers blir Caligola - Nyhet". Gaffa.Se. Retrieved 2012-04-01.
- "Moore To Be - Hemliga kollektivet Caligolas video är nu officiell!"
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche". musicline.de. 2012-07-22. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Stadt Göttingen - NDR 2 Soundcheck: Mit Caligola geht's los!". Goettingen.de. 2012-08-21. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "News - "If You Want My Love": Caligola auf dem neuen Paul van Dyk Album – Immer top informiert über die neuesten Alben, Konzerte und Musik-Videos - Universal Music"
Media related to Mando Diao at Wikimedia Commons
- The Official Mando Diao Website
- Mando Diao Facebook
- Mando Diao on Myspace
- Mando Diao Street team
- Video Interview Mando Diao: What is really important to you?
- 13 Songs chosen by and an Interview with Mando Diao on Klangschau.com