Mandy François-Elie at the 2013 IPC Athletics Championship
27 September 1989 |
Le Lamentin, Martinique
|Event(s)||100m / 200m sprint|
|Club||Foyal Club Handisport|
Mandy François-Elie (born 27 September 1989) is a French Paralympian athlete competing in the category T37. François-Elie won the T37 100m sprint at the 2012 Summer Paralympic Games at London and followed this with both the 100m and 200m titles at the 2013 IPC Athletics World Championships in Lyon.
François-Elie was born on the island of Martinique in 1989. She became interested in athletics at a young age and competed while in school. In 2008, while leaving school, she suffered a stroke which put her into a coma. On recovery it was discovered that she had suffered permanent motor damage. Several years later François-Elie returned to sport and began competing in T37 classification sprints.
François-Elie was selected for the French national team for the 2012 Summer Paralympic Games at London. She entered both the T37 100m and 400m races, and in the 100m she qualified for the final after finishing in first place with a time of 14.30s. In the final she ran a time of 14.08 to beat Namibia's Johanna Benson into second place to win her first Paralympic gold medal. In the 400m François-Elie finished 4th in the first round qualifier, in a time which was not good enough for a final's position.
On 8 June at a meet at Saint Cyr-sur-Loire, François-Elie posted a time of 13.68s in the 100m, a new world record. In July, she was seen as a favourite going into the IPC Athletics World Championships in Lyon. She entered both the 100m and 200m races winning both to become the world champion in her class. In the 200m final, François-Elie ran a time of 28.35s, beating the 13 year-old world record held by Lisa McIntosh of Australia.
- "François-Elie, Mandy". infostradasports.com. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- m "London 2012 Paralympic Games: Athletics - Women's 100 m T37". paralympic.org. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- m "London 2012 Paralympic Games: Athletics - Women's 400 m T37". paralympic.org. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- "Looking at Lyon: Women’s 100m T37". paralympic.org. 11 July 2013. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- "Lyon 2013 - Day three preview". paralympic.org. 22 July 2013. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- Mandy Francois-Elie's profile on paralympic.org