|• Deputy Commissioner||B.N Krishnaiah|
|Elevation||678 m (2,224 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Mandya (Kannada: ಮಂಡ್ಯ ) is a city in the state of Karnataka, India. It is the headquarters of Mandya district and is located 40 km from Mysore and 141 km from Bangalore. First introduce in Hydro - Electrical Power Supply In Karnataka
Although it is widely purported that the region is named after a sage called Maandavya, scholars and academicians dismiss that claim. It has been found in ancient inscription referring this region as 'Man-ta-ya' (ಮಂಟಯ), meaning a habitat preceding a civilization or roughly an ancient abode ("ಆವಾಸಸ್ತಾನ, ಅತ್ಯಂತ ಪ್ರಾಚೀನವಾದ ನಾಗರೀಕತೆಗೂ ಮುನ್ನಿನ ಜನವಸತಿ ಎಂಬ ಅರ್ಥವಿದೆ". "ಸುವರ್ಣ ಮಂಡ್ಯ" ಪುಸ್ತಕದಿಂದ - ಸಂಪಾದಕರು ದೇ. ಜವಾರೇಗೌಡ (ದೇಜಗೌ))
Mandya is located at  It has an average elevation of 678 metres (2224 feet)..
Ambarish is the incumbent MLA. Ramya(Divyamp Spandana) is the present MP
The Mysore Sugar Company Ltd. is located in the heart of Mandya City. It is one of the oldest sugar factories to be set up in Karnataka. It has a processing capacity of 5,000 tons of cane per day and was established 1933-1934.
Mandya District is one of the most agriculturally prosperous districts in Karnataka. But before this, Mandya was termed as a desert and with the advent of irrigation from the K.R. Sagar reservoir (During 1930’s by Sir M. Visweswaraiah), there was substantially marked transformation in cropping pattern, composition of crops, better grown yield level, ultimately leading to better economic conditions of the people.
As of 2001[update] India census, Mandya had a population of 131,211. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Mandya has an average literacy rate of 73%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 77%, and female literacy is 68%. In Mandya, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age. In Mandya city more than 99% of the population speaks Kannada.
Peoples Education Society College of Engineering(popularly known as PESCE), located in Mandya, is one of the top engineering college in the state. PET Indoor stadium for shuttle Badminton [International tournaments are held several times], Swimming pool, Cricket Stadium [Ranji tournament is played here] shows the encouragement toward sports.
The government of Karnataka has also started a Medical college in Mandya. Its called MIMS [Mandya Institute of Medical Sciences].
Keonics Computer Center a Government of Karnataka organization is providing Computer Education for rural and unemployed youth at lower price. Bharathi Education Society was established in the 1970s for providing education to the rural students. Mandya Institute of Medical Sciences is one of the top govt medical colleges of karnataka. The Adi Chunchanagiri Shikshana Trust(R), which is one of the largest educational institute of Karnataka, giving quality education to rural people is from mandya dist., having one medical college(AIMS) and one engineering college (BGSIT) in Mandya dist(B G nagar) . Also Abhinava Bharathi Vidya Kendra (ABVK) founded by Sri Ananth Kumar Swamiji is known for providing quality education to the students of the city and surrounding villages. People's Education Trust is running a number of colleges in Mandya city for the benefit of local students and students from surrounding villages.
- Bandi Gowda Layout
- Gandhi Nagara
- Ashoka Nagara
- Arakeshwara Nagara
- Shankara Nagara
- Chamundeshwari Nagara
- Subash Nagara
- Aanekere Beedhi
- Kuvempu Nagara
- Nehru Nagara
- Vidya Nagara
- Sugar Town
- SafdariyaBAD mohalla
- Acetate Town
- Vinayaka Nagara
- Guttal Colony
- Marigowda Layout
- Vishweshwariah Nagar
- KEB colony
- Kaveri nagar
- Halahally kere
- Labour Colony
Politics and Social Service
- S M Krishna - External affairs minister of Govt of India, Former chief minister of Karnataka state & former Governor of Maharastra state.
- Ambarish - Popular Kannada film Star, and a Member of Legislative Assembly.
- B.S.Yediyurappa- Karnataka's 25th chief minister,yadiyurappa born in Bookanakere, K.R.pete taluk
Art and literature
- B. M. Srikantaiah - Influential author, writer and translator of Kannada literature
- Pu Te Narasimhachar - Famous playwright, poet of Kannada language.
- A N Murthy Rao - Author and translator.
- K. S. Narasimhaswamy - The Creator of famous love poem book Mysoora Mallige
- M.N.Singaramma Dr. - Writer of Philosophical Books in Kannada, Tamil and Hindi
- B.M.Sree - Author and translator
- Nagathihalli Chandrashekhar - Kannada film director.
- Divya Spandana - Popular South Indian film actress popularly known by the name Ramya. She now represents the Mandya Lok Sabha constituency in the Indian Parliament.
- Sridhar Rangayan - Filmmaker - Director / Writer of internationally acclaimed films.
- Prem - Kannada film director And Actor.
- Dr Vishnuvardhan - Popular South Indian film actor. born in Hallegere,Mandya
- Dr Ambarish - Popular kannada film actor
- Ravishankar - Popular kannada film actor
- Amulya - Popular kannada film actress
- MandyaRamesh - Popular kannada film actor
- naga shekar-comedian & director
Milind Dharmasena -Music director
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Mandya
- Karnataka sugar industry
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mandya.|