Maneesh Sharma is an Indian film director and film story writer, who made his debut with Band Baaja Baaraat (2010) which won him Filmfare Award for Best Debut Director. He went on to become a very successful director under the Yash Raj Films banner.
Early life and education
Born and raised in Delhi, where he lived in various parts of the city, including Pitampura. Maneesh did his schooling at Delhi Public School, R K Puram. Then he received a degree in English literature from Hans Raj College, Delhi University. At college, he was involved in the theatre society and shot his debut film in 2010 there. After his graduation he moved to California to study filmmaking at CalArts. Before moving to Mumbai, he was also involved in theatre in Delhi and was a dancer in a local musical troupe.
Two months after his return from the US, he got a break and started his Bollywood career as an associate director and an assistant director on a number of Yash Raj Films productions such as Fanaa, Aaja Nachle and Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, before making his feature directing debut with Band Baaja Baaraat (English title: Bands Horns and Revelry), based on a story written by himself, which was released on 10 December 2010. The film starred newcomer Ranveer Singh and Anushka Sharma in the lead roles, and was produced by Aditya Chopra under the Yash Raj Films banner. Sharma's first outing as a director garnered him India's prestigious Filmfare Award in the Best Debut Director category.
His next film, Ladies vs Ricky Bahl, was produced by Aditya Chopra and released on 9 December 2011. The critically acclaimed film starred Ranveer Singh and Anushka Sharma, who were also in Sharma's first film. Sharma's third film, Shuddh Desi Romance (English title: A Purely Desi Romance), released on 6 September 2013, and starred Sushant Singh Rajput, Parineeti Chopra, and newcomer Vaani Kapoor in the lead roles. The film was screened in the Gala Presentation section of the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival.
Maneesh Sharma will next be producing Dum Laga Ke Haisha under the YRF Banner. Yash Raj Films has always had either Yash Chopra or Aditya Chopra produce movies under the banner, but Sharma will be the very first independent producer. The film will be directed by Sharat Katariya, and will star Ayushmann Khurrana. His next directorial venture will be Fan, which will star Shah Rukh Khan.
- 2014: Dum Laga Ke Haisha
- Story Writer
- 2010: Band Baaja Baaraat
- Assistant Director
- Filmfare Award
- "I can make 15 films on Delhi: Maneesh". The Times of India. 19 December 2010. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- The campus crew in Bollywood The Times of India, 10 December 2010
- Maneesh Sharma : The wedding planner Filmfare, 16 February 2011.
- "YRF launches new face with Anushka Sharma". NDTV Movies. 4 February 2010.
- "These wedding planners know their binness". Indian Express. 17 December 2010.
- "Bring out the Band". Indian Express. 15 February 2011.
- "Priyanka’s cousin to romance Ranveer!". The Times of India. 16 February 2011.
- "56th Idea Filmfare Awards 2011". Daily Times. 31 January 2011.
- Nominations for 56th Filmfare Awards 2010 Bollywood Hungama.