||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2013)|
Manfred Eigen, Göttingen 1996
|Born||May 9, 1927 (age 86)
|Institutions||Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry
Braunschweig University of Technology
|Alma mater||University of Göttingen|
|Known for||Chemical reactions|
|Notable awards||Nobel Prize in Chemistry (1967)|
He received his PhD at the University of Göttingen and has been former director of the Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry in Göttingen. He is an honorary doctor of the TU Braunschweig. From 1982 to 1993, Eigen was president of the German National Merit Foundation.
In 1967, Eigen was awarded, along with Ronald George Wreyford Norrish and George Porter, the Nobel Prize in Chemistry. They were distinguished for their studies of extremely fast chemical reactions induced in response to very short pulses of energy.
In addition, Eigen's name is linked with the theory of the chemical hypercycle, the cyclic linkage of reaction cycles as an explanation for the self-organization of prebiotic systems, which he described with Peter Schuster in 1977. Eigen is a member of the Board of Sponsors of The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. He founded two biotechnology companies, Evotec and Direvo.
Honours and awards
- Otto Hahn Prize for chemistry and physics (1962)
- Nobel Prize in Chemistry (1967), shared with Ronald George Wreyford Norrish and George Porter, for his studies on the kinetics of extremely fast running chemical reactions with relaxation methods
- Member of the Soviet Academy of Sciences (now the Russian Academy of Sciences) (1976)
- Corresponding Member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities (1972)
- Faraday Lectureship Prize (Royal Society of Chemistry, 1977)
- Patron of the annual XLAB Science Festival in Göttingen
- Austrian Decoration for Science and Art
- Lower Saxony State Prize for Science (1980)
- Paul Ehrlich and Ludwig Darmstaedter Prize (1992)
- Helmholtz Medal (Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities, 1994)
- Max Planck Research Award (1994), jointly with Rudolf Rigler of the Karolinska Institute
- Honorary member of the Ruhr University Bochum (2001)
- Honorary doctorate from Harvard University
- Lifetime Achievement Award from the Institute of Human Virology in Baltimore (2005)
- Wilhelm Exner Medal (2011)
- Eigen (1971) Selforganization of matter and the evolution of biological macromolecules. Naturwissenschaften, Vol. 58, Nr. 10, pp. 465–523.
- Eigen & Schuster (1977) The Hypercycle. A Principle of Natural Self-Organisation. Part A: Emergence of the Hypercycle. Naturwissenschaften Vol. 64, pp. 541–565.
- Eigen & Schuster (1978) The Hypercycle. A Principle of Natural Self-Organisation. Part B: The Abstract Hypercycle. Naturwissenschaften Vol. 65, pp. 7–41.
- Eigen & Schuster (1978) The Hypercycle. A Principle of Natural Self-Organisation. Part C: The Realistic Hypercycle. Naturwissenschaften Vol. 65, pp. 341–369.
- Manfred Eigen and Peter Schuster The Hypercycle: A principle of natural self-organization, 1979, Springer ISBN 0-387-09293-5
- Manfred Eigen, Ruthild Winkler: The Laws of the Game: How The Principles of Nature Govern Chance, 1983, Princeton University Press, ISBN 0-691-02566-5
- Manfred Eigen, "Molekulare Selbstorganisation und Evolution." (Self organization of matter and the evolution of biological macro molecules.) Naturwissenschaften 58 (10). 1971 pp. 465–523. In English. Influential theoretical paper on origin-of-life biochemistry.
- Winkler-Oswatitsch, R (1987), "Manfred Eigen. Scientist and musician.", Biophys. Chem. (May 9, 1987) 26 (2–3): 109–15, doi:10.1016/0301-4622(87)80015-7, PMID 3300805
- "List of publications by Manfred Eigen", Biophys. Chem. (May 9, 1987) 26 (2–3), 1987: 103–8, doi:10.1016/0301-4622(87)80014-5, PMID 3300804
- "Curriculum vitae of Manfred Eigen", Biophys. Chem. (May 9, 1987) 26 (2–3), 1987: 102, doi:10.1016/0301-4622(87)80013-3, PMID 3300803
- "Manfred Eigen Festschrift: special issue dedicated to Professor Manfred Eigen on the occasion of his 60th birthday", Biophys. Chem. (May 9, 1987) 26 (2–3), 1987: 101–390, PMID 3300802
- Weisskopf, V F; Eyring, H; Eyring, E M (1967), "Nobel Prizes: 4 named for international award (Hans Bethe, Manfred Eigen, R.G. Norrish, George Porter)", Science (Nov 10, 1967) 158 (3802): 745–8, Bibcode:1967Sci...158..745W, doi:10.1126/science.158.3802.745, PMID 4860395
- Schlögl, R W (1997), "To Manfred Eigen on his 70th birthday", Biophys. Chem. (Jun 30, 1997) 66 (2–3): 71–3, doi:10.1016/S0301-4622(97)00075-6, PMID 17029872
- "The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1967 – Nobelprize.org". Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Biography of Manfred Eigen
- Manfred Eigen tells his life story at Web of Stories (video)
- Manfred Eigen's homepage at the Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry
- Interview with Manfred Eigen by Harry Kroto, NL Freeview video provided by the Vega Science Trust.
- "Falls ein Gott die Naturgesetze erschuf, so erschuf er auch das Leben durch Evolution" (Ger) Interview with Manfred Eigen from 2004
- debate on theory and proof