Manfred F.R. Kets de Vries
|This biographical article relies on references to primary sources. (January 2011)|
|Manfred F.R. Kets de Vries|
|Education||University of Amsterdam
Harvard Business School
Officier in de Orde van Oranje Nassau (Netherlands)
Manfred F.R. Kets de Vries (born in The Netherlands) is a distinguished clinical professor of leadership development and organizational change at INSEAD. He is the founder of INSEAD's Global Leadership Centre, program director of INSEAD's top management seminar, "The Challenge of Leadership: Creating Reflective Leaders" and the scientific director of the program "Consulting and Coaching for Change; Executive Master's Program", and has received five times, INSEAD's distinguished teacher award. With ESMT European School of Management and Technology, Berlin he is a Distinguished Visiting Professor and Director of their Center for Leadership Development Research. He is best known for bringing a different view to the much-studied subjects of leadership and the dynamics of individual and organizational change. Prof. Kets de Vries is also the founder of the Kets de Vries Institute, a partnership that counsels individual CEOs and top executive teams, using a clinical orientation to leadership coaching and organizational transformation.
Kets de Vries had held professorships at McGill University, the École des Hautes Études Commerciales, Montreal, and Harvard Business School, and has lectured at management institutions around the world. He is a founding member of the International Society for the Psychoanalytic Study of Organizations. The Financial Times, Le Capital, Wirtschaftswoche, and The Economist have rated Manfred Kets de Vries among the world's top fifty leading management thinkers and among the most influential contributors to human resource management. In 2005, as the first non-American, he has received the International Leadership Award for "his contributions to the classroom and the board room" . In 2008, he has also been given the Lifetime Achievement Award (the Leadership Legacy Project of the International Leadership Association), being viewed as one of the world’s six founding professionals in the development of leadership as a field and discipline. In October 2011 Kets de Vries was awarded the Doctor Honoris Causa title from IEDC Bled School of Management for his ‘outstanding contribution to creation and integration of knowledge and leadership development for a better world'. In October 2012 Kets de Vries received an Honorary Doctorate from the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA) at IBS-Moscow.
Degrees and training
Professor Kets de Vries holds a Dutch Master degree in Economics (Econ. Drs.; 1966) from the University of Amsterdam; an International Teachers Program certificate (1967), M.B.A. (1968), and D.B.A. (1970) from Harvard Business School, and received training from the Canadian Psychoanalytic Society (member in 1982). He is also a member of the International Psychoanalytic Association and a corresponding member of Paris Psychoanalytical Society.
The Queen of the Netherlands made him an Officer in the Order of Orange-Nassau. He was the first fly fisherman in Outer Mongolia and is a member of New York's Explorers Club. He is the Chairman and principal owner of the Kets de Vries Institute, a global leadership consultancy firm, incorporated in 2009.
He is the author, co-author, or editor of more than forty books and has published over 350 scientific papers as chapters in books and as articles. His books and articles have been translated into thirty-one languages. He is a member of seventeen editorial boards. He has been elected a Fellow of the Academy of Management. The American Psychological Association awarded him the Harry and Miriam Levinson Award (Organizational Consultation division) (in 2001) for his contributions to the field of consultation. He is a founding member of the International Society for the Psychoanalytic Study of Organizations (ISPSO) of which he became (in 2009) a Lifetime Distinguished Member. Kets de Vries is also the first non-American recipient of the International Leadership Award for “his contributions to the classroom and the board room” by the International Leadership Association (ILA). In 2010 he was honoured by the Dutch Psychoanalytic Institute in the Netherlands where he was presented with the Freud Memorial Award, in acknowledgement of his exceptional work on the interface between psychoanalysis and organisations. He has also written approximately a hundred case studies, including seven that received the Best Case of the Year award. He is a regular writer for a number of magazines.
Most notable publications by Kets de Vries were his books 'Sex, Money, Happiness, and Death: The Quest for Authenticity' (2009) 'The Leader on the Couch,' (2006), 'The Leadership Mystique' (2001), 'Organizations on the Couch' (1991) and 'The Neurotic Organization' (1984; together with Danny Miller), a trilogy which encompasses his seminal work on leadership from the past decade; 'Reflections on Character and Leadership', 'Reflections on Leadership and Career', and 'Reflections on Groups and Organisations', and most recently 'The Hedgehog Effect: The Secrets of Building High Performance Teams' (November 2011). Kets de Vries has developed four 360° Leadership Assessment instruments: "The Personality Audit", "Leadership Archetype Questionnaire", "Inner Theatre Inventory", and the "Organizational Culture Audit".
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R.; Miller, D. (1984). The Neurotic Organization: Diagnosing and Changing Counterproductive Styles of Management. Jossey-Bass Inc. p. 264. ISBN 0-87589-606-5.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (1991). Organizations on the Couch. Jossey-Bass. p. 408. ISBN 1-55542-384-1.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2001). The Leadership Mystique: a user's manual for the human enterprise. FT Press. p. 352. ISBN 0-273-65620-1.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2006). The Leader on the Couch: A Clinical Approach to Changing People and Organizations. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. p. 407. ISBN 9985-9757-4-X.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R.; Florent-Treacy, Elizabeth; Korotov, Konstantin (2007). Coach and Couch: The Psychology of Making Better Leaders. Hampshire, UK: (INSEAD Business Books series). Palgrave Macmillan.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. & Carlock, Randel, with Elizabeth Florent-Treacy (2007). Family Business on the Couch: A Psychological Perspective, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., West Sussex, UK.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2009). Reflections on Character and Leadership: On the Couch with Manfred Kets de Vries, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, March 2009
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2009). Sex, Money, Happiness and Death: The Quest for Authenticity. Palgrave. p. 264. ISBN 0-230-57792-X.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. & Konstantin Korotov (2009). Leadership Development (editors), London: Edward Elgar. (November 2011)
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. Reflections on Leadership and Career Development, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, UK. (December 2009).
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R., Laura Guillen, Konstantin Korotov & Elizabeth Florent-Treacy (editors) The Coaching Kaleidoscope: Insights from the Inside, Palgrave Macmillan, Hampshire, UK.(July 2010).
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. Reflections on Groups and Organisations. John Wiley & Sons Ltd., UK.(January 2011)
- Konstantin Korotov, Elizabeth Florent-Treacy, Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R, & Andreas Bernhardt, (editors) Tricky Coaching; Difficult Cases in Leadership Coaching. Hampshire, UK: Palgrave Macmillan. (November 2011)
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. The Hedgehog Effect: The Secrets of Building High Performance Teams. John Wiley & Sons Ltd., UK (November 2011)
Kets de Vries is a consultant on organizational design/transformation and strategic human resource management to leading U.S., Canadian, European, African, and Asian companies. As an educator and consultant he has worked in more than forty countries.
- Narcissistic leadership
- Kets de Vries - 2009, recognized as one of the world's most influential thinkers by Thinkers 50.
- Kleiner, Art. "The Thought Leader Interview: Manfred F.R. Kets de Vries". Strategy+Business. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- Bio page (ESMT)