Manfred Honeck (born 17 September 1958 in Nenzing) is an Austrian conductor, the son of Otto and Frieda Honeck, from a family of nine children. One of his brothers is the Vienna Philharmonic leader Rainer Honeck.
As a youth, Honeck studied violin. He attended the Academy of Music in Vienna, and later played the viola. He was later a musician in the Vienna Philharmonic and the Vienna State Opera Orchestra. His early work as a conductor included a period as assistant to Claudio Abbado with the Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester (Youth Orchestra).
From 1991 to 1996, Honeck conducted regularly at the Zurich Opera House. From 1997 to 1998, he was Music Director of the Norwegian National Opera in Oslo. He also held a regular position from 1996 to 1999 with the MDR Symphony Orchestra Leipzig. In 1998, he was named the Principal Guest Conductor of the Oslo Philharmonic. From 2000 to 2006, Honeck was Music Director of the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra, where his work included conducting the 2006 premiere of Sven-David Sandström's Ordet – en passion (24 March, Stockholm). Honeck became Generalmusikdirektor (GMD) of the Staatsoper Stuttgart with the 2007–2008 season, with an initial contract for four years. In November 2009, Stuttgart Opera announced the departure of Honeck as its GMD after the conclusion of his contract in 2011. Honeck formally concluded his Stuttgart tenure in the summer of 2011. Honeck became Principal Guest Conductor of the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra with the 2008–2009 season.
In May 2006, in the US, Honeck made an acclaimed appearance with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra (PSO). In November 2006, he returned to Pittsburgh to conduct the PSO in another concert that received strongly positive reviews. On 24 January 2007, the PSO named Honeck its ninth music director, effective with the 2008–2009 season for an initial contract of 3 years. In September 2009, the PSO announced the extension of Honeck's contract to the 2015–2016 season. In February 2012, the PSO announced the further extension of Honeck's contract through the 2019–2020 season. Honeck and the PSO have recorded music of Giuseppe Verdi, Alan Fletcher and Richard Strauss for the Octavia (Exton) label.
- Jürgen Schenkenbach (2006-01-13). "Höhenflug im Motzartjahr" (.PDF). Vorarlberg Week (in German). Retrieved 2007-08-07.[dead link]
- Andrew Druckenbrod (2007-04-08). "An illuminating visit with the new PSO conductor, at home in western Austria". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- Andrew Druckenbrod (2006-11-25). "No pressure: PSO guest conductor has patience both on and off the podium". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- Mark Kanny (2006-12-17). "Symphony must use right criteria for leadership decisions". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- Ben Mattison (2005-11-29). "Conductor Manfred Honeck to Lead Stuttgart Opera". Playbill Arts. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- Andrew Druckebrod (2009-11-17). "Manfred Honeck to leave Stuttgart Opera". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2009-12-25.
- Jürgen Kanold (2011-07-09). "Honecks Stuttgarter Klangkultur". Schwäbisches Tagblatt. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- Andrew Druckebrod (2006-05-13). "Honeck makes strong debut with PSO". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- Andrew Druckebrod (2006-11-25). "PSO conductor brings New World of sound". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2007-08-04.
- "Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra Announces New Music Director Manfred Honeck" (Press release). Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. 2007-01-24. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- Daniel J. Wakin (2007-01-24). "In Pittsburgh, a Music Director to Replace Three Conductors". New York Times. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- Mark Kanny (2007-01-27). "Honeck's selection will profit the symphony". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- Andrew Druckenbrod (2009-09-10). "Honeck to remain Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra conductor until 2015". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- Andrew Druckenbrod (2012-02-13). "Honeck agrees to contract extension with PSO". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2012-02-18.
- Andrew Druckebrod (2008-10-31). "PSO delivers a deluxe CD of Richard Strauss". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- Andrew Druckenbrod (2007-01-25). "City opens arms to PSO's new music director from Austria". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- Manfred Honeck at AllMusic
- Manfred Honeck biography at the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra
- Manfred Honeck biography from KS Gasteig
- Broman PF. Ordet – en passion. Introduction to Swedish Radio performance
- Ramesh Santanam, "Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra Announces Second Contract Extension for Music Director Manfred Honeck". PSO Blog, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, 13 February 2012
|Principal Conductor, Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra
|Generalmusikdirektor, Staatsoper Stuttgart