He is a founder of European free jazz and collaborated with Albert Mangelsdorff, Peter Brötzmann, Mal Waldron, and Irène Schweizer. He has interpreted Die Soldaten, an operatic work by the contemporary composer Bernd Alois Zimmermann.
- European Echoes (1969) FMP 0010. Reissued on CD by Atavistic (UMS/ALP232CD).
- Scales (1976) JAPO 60013 (out of print)
- Light Lines (1977) JAPO 60019 (out of print)
- Horizons (1979) JAPO 60030 (out of print)
- Resonance (2009) ECM 2093 (Double CD reissue of most of the tracks of the three JAPO releases)
With George Russell
With Mal Waldron