Maniac (Girlicious song)
|Single by Girlicious|
|from the album Rebuilt|
|Released||April 6, 2010|
|Label||Universal Music Canada|
|Writer(s)||B. Paschke, D. Ryan Scott & J. Persson|
|Girlicious singles chronology|
"Maniac" is a song performed by American girl group Girlicious. Released as the second single from their second album, Rebuilt. It officially impacted Canadian radio on March 23, 2010. It was released to iTunes Canada on April 6, 2010. Maniac" reached number seventy-four on the Canadian Hot 100. It performed best on the Serbian Top 50 singles where it charted for eleven weeks and reached a peak of eleven.
Writing and inspiration
"Maniac" was written by Josh Ramsay of Marianas Trench. Natalie Mejia explained the main concept behind the song saying, "It is just about a love that kind of drives you crazy. You know how love can be. It is a universal law". Nichole Cordova later added, "We've all been through that crazy love, so that's what the song is about."
On March 22, 2010 a 1:30 clip of the song premiered on the girl's official website and Myspace. A day later on March 23, 2010 the song was sent to top 40 Canadian radio stations for mainstream radio play. The single was digitally released to iTunes Canada on April 6, 2010.
On the week of May 25, 2010 "Maniac" entered and peaked on the Canadian Hot 100 at number seventy-four. It remained on the chart for two weeks. On the Serbian Top 50 singles, the song charted for eleven weeks and reached a peak of number eleven.
On Portal PopLine MTV Brazil, the "Maniac" video became the most requested and watched video ever, with more than 200 000 views.
The music video for "Maniac" was shot on April 6, 2010 in East Los Angeles, California at an abandoned hospital. The video was directed by Kyle Davison. It premiered on May 4, 2010. The girls were featured in a special "On Set" with Much Music where the video initially premiered. While shooting the "On Set" the girls explained the main concept behind the video, "Basically were the patients, [...] we act as if were insane, mad women. It's new, it's exciting, it's something we haven't done yet."
The video starts off with the three girls seen in separate cages dancing. It then cuts to Chrystina's respective solo where she is seen on an operating room table surrounded by male dancers. The following scene shows all three girls performing choreography while walking down a hallway. Nichole in her respective solo, is seen on a bed singing her verses while being loured by male dancers. After another scene of choreography in water this time, the video cuts to Natalie's respective solo; She is seen in a corner with a spotlight on her with male backup dancers. In the final scene, the girls and male dancers are seen performing more choreography until the girls are eventually locked up by the male dancers.
|Canadian Hot 100||74|
Radio date and release history
|Canada||March 23, 2010||Radio impact|
|April 6, 2010||Digital download|
- "POP TOP LISTU 27.06.2010.". Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "POP TOP LISTU 11.07.2010.". Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "Exclusive Q&A with Girlicious". J-14. 2010-07-14. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Girlicious performs in Toronto, Canada 3 days after Natalie Mejia is busted for Coke – Now thats a good lawyer!". Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "fabTV: Girlicious get wet at the Splash Bash during Toronto Pride 2010". Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "Maniac Clip Release". Girlicious Official Website. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "thank you CHUM". Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "Girlicious – Maniac - Release". Itunes. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "Girlicious Maniac Entry". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "Girlicious Maniac Video Location". Mental Floss. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "On Set: Girlicious Clip 1 of 3". Music Music. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- "Thank you CHUM FM Toronto". Retrieved 11 June 2012.