October 7, 1968 |
|Other names||Munish Makhija|
|Known for||Udham Singh (Channel V)|
Manish Makhija also known as Munish Makhija (born on 7 October 1968) is an Indian VJ, and Mumbai-based restaurateur, who is most known for his characters Udham Singh on Channel V's The Udham Singh Show (1997), and Munna on UTV Bindass's Cash Cab – Meter Chalu Hai . uncle of Masumeh Makhija (born on 10 October. 1984 or 1979)
Early life and education
He first made his mark and gained popularity with Channel V show, 'The Udham Singh Show', where he anchored the show as Udham Singh in Hariyanvi style. The show started as an offshoot of an ad campaign launched by the channel during the general elections in the late 90’s asking youngsters to cast their vote. Later a campaign to persuade watchers to vote for the Viewers' Choice Award, featured a caricature of a Haryanvi Jat election officer from Meham in Haryana, the show was soon a hit.
In 2003, he started working along Pooja Bhatt's in her directorial debut Paap (2004), he sourced two soundtracks from the Pakistani band, Junoon and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan’s nephew Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, who sang Laagi Tumse Mann Ki Lagan for the film, he also did a small role in the film. Thereafter he appeared in small roles in films like Rog and Dhoka (2007), and he assisted her in Rog (2005). Thereafter he worked with Tehelka.com for a while, before moving to Goa, where he opened a lounge bar, 'The Other Side at Morgem Beach in Goa.
He has also featured in a feature fil Luv shuv te chicken khurana in the role of a local mafia in UK
He married noted Indian movie actress, producer and director, Pooja Bhatt in August 2003, whom he had met a few months earlier, while working with her in her film, Paap (2004), where in also did a small role.
- "Udham talks: Munish Makhija is back for a reality show". The Hindu. Sep 30, 2008.
- "Pooja Bhatt and Manish Makhija on films, TV and manners: ‘Mediocrity has crept into all spheres’". The Hindu. Sep 4, 2007.
- "Screen On & Off: Munish Makhija with wife Pooja Bhatt: Poll talk: Makhija mayhem". The Telegraph (Kolkata). January 29, 2005.
- "My Name Udham Singh, Pooja Bhatt Husband". Indian Express. August 19, 2003.
- Namrata Joshi (December 8, 1997). "Rustic Appeal: The LLB-dropout plays the crude but funny VJ Udham Singh with uncommon flair". India Today.
- Filmography Bollywood Hungama.
- Munish Makhija is 'different': Bindaas' new reality quiz show just reaffirms the fact Buzz18.com, Sep 23, 2008.
- "Talking point with Munish makhija". Indian Express. Sep 22, 2008.
- "Of pyaar and Paap: Pooja Bhatt and Manish Makhija bring out the best in each other.". The Hindu. Feb 14, 2005.