Manjil Virinja Pookkal
|Manjil Virinja Pookkal|
|Produced by||Navodaya Appachan|
|Editing by||T. R. Shekhar|
|Release date(s)||December 25, 1980|
|Running time||150 minutes|
Manjil Virinja Pookkal (Malayalam: മഞ്ഞില് വിരിഞ്ഞ പൂക്കള്, English: Flowers That Bloomed in the Mist) is a 1980 Malayalam film produced by Navodaya Appachan and directed by Fazil, starring Shankar, Poornima Jayaram, and Mohanlal in the main roles. This film was one of the biggest hits of the year and was a major landmark in the career of director Fazil. The songs were composed by Jerry Amaldev.
Manjil Virinja Pookkal was Mohanlal's first release. His first film Thiranottam was never released in theaters. The film was shot mainly from Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu. The first dialogue of Mohanlal, which begins as "I am Narendran" was shot from the Astoria Hotel, near Kodaikanal busstand.
11 years later, the Hollywood thriller Sleeping with the Enemy (1991) had the same storyline as Manjil Virinja Pookkal. Sleeping with the Enemy was later remade into Hindi four times as Yaraana (1995), Daraar (1996), Agni Sakshi (1996), Koi Mere Dil Se Poochhe (2002); into Tamil as Aval Varuvala (1998); and into a Pakistani movie Khilona.
The story is about Prem Kishan (Shankar) coming to the hills of Kodaikkanal on work, meeting and falling in love with Prabha (Poornima Jayaram) whom he knows little about. Later he realises that she is married when her husband, Narendran (Mohanlal) comes into the picture. Mohanlal plays the antagonist in this film, one of the many negative characters he has played in his career. The film ends on a sad note, with Prem Kishan committing suicide after killing Narendran, saddened by the loss of Prabha, who was killed by Narendran.
- Shankar as Prem Kishan
- Poornima Jayaram as Prabha Narendran
- Mohanlal as Narendran
- Prathapachandran as Sivasankara Panikkar
- Alummoodan as Kushalan
- Nedumudi Venu as Seythalavi
Manjil Virinja Pookkal was Mohanlal's first release. His first film Thiranottam was only released in 1 center with difficulties. Before Mohanlal was cast in the role of the antagonist, other actors were considered for the part, including Bharath Gopi and Sukumaran. Sukumaran almost got the part but was turned down because the director felt that he looked too old. Mohanlal was 20 years old when in this film. And so was Shankar.
- Directed by Fazil
- Written by Fazil
- Produced by Navodaya Appachan
- Original Music by Jerry Amaldev (songs) and Gunasingh (score)
- Cinematography by Ashok Kumar
- Film Editing by T.R. Shekhar
- Second Unit Director or Assistant Director: Sibi Malayil
- Lyricist: Bichu Thirumala
- Singers: Vani Jairam, S. Janaki, K. J. Yesudas
- Best Popular Film - Manjil Virinja Pookkal
- Best Actress - Poornima Jayaram
- Best Music Director - Jerry Amaldev
- Best Play Back Singer - K. J. Yesudas
- Best Play Back Singer - S. Janaki
- Best Background Music - Gunasingh
- Prema Manmadhan (2005-12-23). "His experiments with cinema". The Hindu. Retrieved 2011-01-31.
- "മഞ്ഞില് വിരിയുന്ന ഓര്മകള്...". (in Malayalam). Mathrubhumi. 23 February 2011. Retrieved 3 March 2011.
- "Kerala State Film Awards 1969 - 2001". Information and Public Relations Department of Kerala. Retrieved 2011-01-31.