Mann Theatres was a movie theater chain that predominantly operated in the western United States with a heavy concentration of theaters in southern California. Its motto was "Where Hollywood goes to the movies". The company ceased operation on December 27, 2011, with the closing of its last property, the Westlake Village Theaters.
It was named after Ted Mann, the former owner of the Mann's Theatre chain (and husband of Rhonda Fleming). Mann purchased the theatres of National General, which included the old Fox Theatres chain. Among the theatres was Grauman's Chinese Theatre, which was renamed Mann's Chinese Theatre. At one time, Mann operated many of the prestigious single-screen theaters in the Los Angeles area, i.e. The Fox Village, the Bruin, the National, and the Grauman's Chinese.
In 1986, Mann Theatres was acquired by Gulf & Western, who brought in Warner Communications as a partner in its theatres the next year. In 1997, Mann was sold to WestStar, a company backed by the private equity firm Warburg Pincus. In 2000, Mann went bankrupt and was acquired by its former owners, Warner Bros. and Paramount Pictures.
Mann was also once a dominant cinematic chain in Colorado and the Denver area, but were bought out over a period beginning in 2000 by Colorado Cinemas, a newly founded theater chain that took over and operated several Mann Theatre locations in Denver. Carmike Cinemas bought and took over the Mann Theatre locations outside of the Denver area.
On October 28, 2008, Mann Chinese 6 Theatre was the first 3-D-ready commercial cinema to unveil the installation of Iosono technology featuring 380 speakers. On April 3, 2009, this same theater was among the first to present motion-enhanced theatrical films, now featuring 30 D-BOX motion controlled seats.
There is also a Mann Theatres chain in Minnesota with 13 theatres and 86 screens that was founded in 1935, around the same time that Ted Mann was getting into the business in St. Paul. However, that chain was started by Marvin Mann, who was Ted Mann's brother.
- Mann Westlake Village theaters close
- Mann Theatre Will Buy A National General Unit
- COMPANY NEWS; G.&W. Acquisition
- Warner to Buy Theater Stake
- 'Chinese Theatre' owner agrees to acquisition by WestStar Holdings
- Lewine quits Mann parent WestStar
- Studios Buy Mann Theatres Chain
- Lally, Kevin (May 20, 2009). "Rockin' good time: D-BOX Motion Technology off to 'Fast & Furious' start". Film Journal International News. Retrieved July 2, 2009.
- "D-BOX Technologies Adds More Motion to Hollywood Movie Theatre" (Press release). D-BOX Technologies. June 29, 2009.
- Metro Area Treasured Theatres :: Meetings: Minnesota's Hospitality Journal