|Town of Manning|
|Nickname(s): Land of the Mighty Moose|
|Municipal district||County of Northern Lights|
|• Mayor||Sunni-Jeanne Walker|
|• Governing body||Manning Town Council|
|• Total||1.32 sq mi (3.42 km2)|
|Elevation||1,526 ft (465 m)|
|• Density||881/sq mi (340.0/km2)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
Manning is a service centre for the local agriculture, forestry and gas industries. It also serves the nearby rural area within the County of Northern Lights including Deadwood, Hotchkiss, North Star and Notikewin.
The original name "Aurora", was rejected by the postal authorities because of possibility of confusion with Aurora, Ontario. At a public meeting in 1947, the community was renamed in honour of Ernest Manning who was the premier of Alberta from 1943 to 1968.
In the 2011 Census, the Town of Manning had a population of 1,164 living in 461 of its 501 total dwellings, a -22% change from its 2006 population of 1,493. With a land area of 3.42 km2 (1.32 sq mi), it had a population density of 340.4/km2 (881.5/sq mi) in 2011.
According to the 2006 census, Manning has a:
- population of 1,493 living in 595 dwellings, a 15.5% increase from 2001
- land area of 3.42 km2 (1.32 sq mi)
- and a population density of 436.1 /km2 (1,129 /sq mi).
The Battle River Pioneer Museum is home to many pieces of antique farming equipment, vehicles and other extraordinary items, like the albino moose.
The Manning Farmers’ Market has been a fixture in Manning for over 30 years.
Recreation venues include the Manning R.C.M.P. Centennial Pool, a paved walking trail, a curling rink, an skating/hockey arena, two outdoor ice rinks, a ski hill and the Condy Meadows Golf Course and Recreation Area.[
Manning has a hospital.
The mayor of the Town of Manning is Sunni-Jeanne Walker.
Manning is also home to a Northern Lakes College campus.
- "Municipal Officials Search". Alberta Municipal Affairs. 2014-08-10. Retrieved 2014-08-10.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2011 and 2006 censuses (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- "Alberta Private Sewage Systems 2009 Standard of Practice Handbook: Appendix A.3 Alberta Design Data (A.3.A. Alberta Climate Design Data by Town)" (PDF). Safety Codes Council. January 2012. pp. 212–215 (PDF pages 226–229). Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- Holmgren, Eric J. & Patricia M. Holmgren. Over 2000 Place Names of Alberta. expanded 3rd ed. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Western Producer Prairie Books. 1976. p. 173
- Statistics Canada (Census 2006). "Manning - Community Profile". Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- Manning Farmers’ Market
- http://www.manning.govoffice.com/ Town of Manning]
- Manning Elementary School
||Chinchaga Wildland||HighLevel||Fort Vermilion|
|Fort St. John|
|Hines Creek||Berwyn||Peace River|