December 3, 1982 |
Panama City, Panama
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|July 18, 2006 for the Colorado Rockies|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||4.14|
From the town of Aguas Benditas-Chilibre, Panama, Corpas was signed by the Colorado Rockies at the age of 16 as an amateur free agent in 1999. He made his debut for the Rockies on July 18, 2006. Following the All-Star Break in 2007, Corpas filled in as closer for Brian Fuentes, who was demoted after taking four of eight losses during an 8-game losing skid. Corpas finished the year with a 4–2 win-loss record, a 2.08 earned run average, and 19 saves in 22 chances; he continued to serve as the Rockies' closer during the 2007 postseason.
He continued as the closer into the 2008 season. However, after a number of poor outings, he was replaced by Fuentes in late April. In 2008 he tied for the major league lead in blown saves, with 9.
During 2009 spring training, he competed with Huston Street for the closer spot; Street won the position and Corpas started the season as the eighth inning set up pitcher. After poor performances by Street, Corpas was renamed the closer on April 17; however, Corpas also pitched poorly, and the closer job was given back to Street on May 1.
After being outrighted off of the Cubs' 40-man roster, Corpas elected free agency. Corpas had a 5.01 ERA and 46 2/3 innings in 48 games.
Second stint with the Colorado Rockies
On January 9, 2013, Corpas signed a minor league contract with the Rockies. His contract was purchased from Colorado Springs (PCL) on June 2, 2013. He was outrighted off the roster and elected free agency October 17, 2013. Corpas rejoined the Rockies for the 2014 season, agreeing to a minor league contract. On July 13, 2014, Corpas was released by the Rockies.
- Fuentes in, Corpas out after back-to-back blown saves
- Street Beats Out Corpas for Closing Spot SI.com, April 3, 2009
- Corpas to take over closing duties, Colorado Rockies. Published April 17, 2009. Retrieved April 22, 2009.
- Harding, Thomas. Let's play musical closers, Colorado Rockies. Published May 1, 2009. Retrieved May 3, 2009.
- "Rockies release injured former closer Manny Corpas – HardballTalk". hardballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- Levine, Bruce (December 22, 2011). "Chicago Cubs agree to terms with relief pitcher Manny Corpas, source says". ESPNChicago.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben (October 26, 2012). "Manny Corpas Elects Free Agency". MLB Trade Rumors.
- "Rockies give pitcher Manny Corpas invitation to Spring Training – Rockies.com: News". colorado.rockies.mlb.com. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- "2014 MLB Trades and Transactions - Major League Baseball - ESPN". espn.go.com. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- "Rockies agree with two relievers". Associated Press. ESPN.com. February 3, 2014. Retrieved February 3, 2014.
- Polishuk, Mark (July 13, 2014). "Rockies Release Manny Corpas". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)