|Chief Minister of Goa|
9 March 2012
|Preceded by||Digambar Kamat|
24 October 2000 – 2 February 2005
|Preceded by||Francisco Sardinha|
|Succeeded by||Pratapsingh Rane|
|Born||Manohar Gopalkrishna Prabhu Parrikar
13 December 1955
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
Manohar Gopalkrishna Prabhu Parrikar (born 13 December 1955) is an Indian politician who has been Chief Minister of Goa since 9 March 2012. Previously he was Chief Minister from 2000 to 2005. He is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Parrikar was born at Mapusa, Goa. He studied at Loyola High School, Margao. He completed his secondary education in Marathi and went on to graduate in metallurgical engineering from IIT Bombay in 1978. He is the first IIT graduate to become the Chief Minister of any Indian state. He was awarded by IIT Bombay with the Distinguished Alumnus Award in 2001. Manohar Parrikar and Nandan Nilekani, Chairman of the new Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) have graduated together from IIT Bombay in the year 1978.
He is a member of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and is the first Chief Minister of Goa from his party. He was first elected to the Second Legislative Assembly of the State of Goa in 1994. He was the leader of the opposition from June to November 1999. He became the Chief Minister of Goa for the first time on 24 October 2000, but his tenure lasted only till 27 February 2002. On 5 June 2002, he was re-elected and became the Chief Minister again.
On 29 January 2005, his government was reduced to a minority in the assembly after four BJP MLAs resigned from the House. However, Parrikar proved his majority in the house by February 2005. In 2007, the Parrikar-led BJP was defeated in the Goa state elections by the Indian National Congress led by Digambar Kamat. His party became victorious once again after the BJP and allies won 24 seats against INC's 9 seats in the Goa Assembly Elections held in March 2012. He is a member of BJP's national central election campaign committee for Indian general elections, 2014 along with other two chief ministers Shivraj Singh Chauhan and Raman Singh.
- "Manohar Parrikar takes oath as Goa chief minister". 9 March 2012. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- Government Printing Press & Stationery, Govt of Goa, India - Shri Manohar Parrikar - Honourable Chief Minister
- Shri. Manohar Parrikar Profile|Government of Goa: Official Portal
- Goa: CM Candidates : Manohar Parrikar
- Shri. Manohar Parrikar | Goa MLA | Goa Legislative Assembly
- Prabhu Manohar Parrikar(Bharatiya Janata Party(BJP)):Constituency- PANAJI(NORTH GOA) - Affidavit Information of Candidate:
- "CNN-IBN Indian of the Year 2012". CNN-IBN Indian of the Year 2012. IBN live. December 12, 2012. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- Manohar Parrikar is Indian Politician of the Year! | Niti Central
|Chief Minister of Goa
9 March 2012 – present