Manor Park, London
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2008)|
Manor Park is the name of an area in the London Borough of Newham, as well as of the local railway station and cemetery. There is another railway station - Woodgrange Park. The 200-acre (0.81 km2) City of London Cemetery and Crematorium is also situated here, as is a separate Manor Park Cemetery.
Manor Park now has a large immigrant population, mainly from Pakistan and Bangladesh and more recently from Romania and Poland.
Manor Park's Itchycoo Park (officially Little Ilford Park) was made famous in a song by the Small Faces, whose lead singer Steve Marriott lived in the area. Manor Park also has an amateur football team called A.C. Manor Park playing in the AFL.[clarification needed]
Notable people associated with Manor Park
- Jimmy Greaves, Tottenham Hotspur striker with many records of achievement. Best England international strike rate ever with 44 goals in only 57 matches.
- Jack Cornwell, teenage recipient of the Victoria Cross, grew up in Manor Park and is buried at the Manor Park Cemetery
- George Drewry, Victoria Cross recipient
- Greer Garson, Oscar-winning film actress, born in Manor Park in 1904
- Bobby George, darts player and pundit
- Stanley Holloway, actor, born at 25 Albany Road (at which there is an English Heritage blue plaque erected in 2009)
- Steve Marriott, lead singer and guitarist of Small Faces and Humble Pie, born in Manor Park
- Kele Okereke, lead singer of Bloc Party, is from Manor Park
- Michael Blaney, World War Two bomb disposal officer from Newry, who died when a bomb he was trying to defuse exploded in Manor Park. Blaney Cresecent in East Ham is named after him. Awarded the George Cross.
- For details of education in Manor Park see the List of schools in the London Borough of Newham
A number of council-run, charity-supported and independent community centres and education initiatives are active in the area:
- The Froud Centre
- Hathaway Community Centre
- Jack Cornwell Community Centre
- Manor Park Community Centre
- London Tamil Sangam
- Trinity Community Centre
- The Techshop, Studio E12 and TradeSkills E12
- "Earl of Essex public house". National Heritage List for England. English Heritage. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Michael Blaney and Raymond Kelly honoured in Newry". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- The Manor Park blog
- List of community centres operated by Newham Council
- London Tamil Sangam homepage
- The Techshop, StudioE12 and TradeSkills E12 homepages
- Manor Park Facebook group Page