Location of Manton, Michigan
|• Total||1.61 sq mi (4.17 km2)|
|• Land||1.56 sq mi (4.04 km2)|
|• Water||0.05 sq mi (0.13 km2)|
|Elevation||1,132 ft (345 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||1,291|
|• Density||825.0/sq mi (318.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1620691|
- According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.61 square miles (4.17 km2), of which 1.56 square miles (4.04 km2) is land and 0.05 square miles (0.13 km2) is water.
- Manton is part of Northern Michigan.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,287 people, 504 households, and 327 families residing in the city. The population density was 825.0 inhabitants per square mile (318.5/km2). There were 577 housing units at an average density of 369.9 per square mile (142.8/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 96.3% White, 0.5% African American, 0.9% Native American, 0.4% from other races, and 1.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.3% of the population.
There were 504 households of which 37.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 37.1% were married couples living together, 20.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.9% had a male householder with no wife present, and 35.1% were non-families. 31.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.10.
The median age in the city was 31.9 years. 30% of residents were under the age of 18; 9.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 23.3% were from 25 to 44; 22.3% were from 45 to 64; and 14.4% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.5% male and 52.5% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,221 people, 497 households, and 317 families residing in the city. The population density was 784.2 per square mile (302.2/km²). There were 541 housing units at an average density of 347.4 per square mile (133.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.95% White, 0.41% Native American, 0.25% Asian, and 1.39% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.15% of the population.
There were 497 households out of which 31.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.5% were married couples living together, 15.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.2% were non-families. 28.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 3.04.
In the city the population was spread out with 28.9% under the age of 18, 9.3% from 18 to 24, 26.5% from 25 to 44, 20.4% from 45 to 64, and 14.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 90.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $27,339, and the median income for a family was $31,979. Males had a median income of $30,000 versus $21,125 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,528. About 9.3% of families and 14.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.9% of those under age 18 and 6.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Indian Trails provides daily intercity bus service between Grand Rapids, Michigan and Petoskey, Michigan.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "GRAND RAPIDS-CADILLAC-TRAVERSE CITY-PETOSKEY". Indian Trails. January 15, 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- Manton history
- Manton Area Chamber of Commerce
- Manton Area Historical Museum web site
- Manton Michigan City Web Portal