Mantua Township, Portage County, Ohio
|Mantua Township, Portage County, Ohio|
Historic Snow Home, built in 1815
Location within Portage County
|• Total||26.6 sq mi (68.8 km2)|
|• Land||26.5 sq mi (68.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,175 ft (358 m)|
|• Density||176.1/sq mi (68.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||330, 234|
|GNIS feature ID||1086831|
Name and history
It is the only Mantua Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships and cities:
- Auburn Township, Geauga County - north
- Troy Township, Geauga County - northeast corner
- Hiram Township - east
- Freedom Township - southeast corner
- Shalersville Township - south
- Streetsboro - southwest corner
- Aurora - west
- Bainbridge Township, Geauga County - northwest corner
Formed from the Connecticut Western Reserve, Mantua Township covers an area of 26 sq mi (67 km2).
- Aaron Burnett, Charter Boat and Tug Boat Captain on the Great Lakes
- Eliza Roxcy Snow Smith, an early Latter-day Saint leader, and a plural wife of both Joseph Smith, Jr. and Brigham Young
- Lorenzo Snow, a former president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The community of Mantua, Utah, in Utah's Box Elder County, was named in honor of Snow and his hometown.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Portage County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- History of Portage County, Ohio: Containing a History of the County, Its Townships, Towns, Villages, Schools, Churches, Industries, Etc. Warner, Beers & Company. 1885. p. 480.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Census Bureau data
- Jenson, Andrew (1920). "Origin of Western Geographic Names". The Utah genealogical and historical magazine 11 (2): 83.
But in 1864 the settlement was named Mantua, after Mantua, Portage County, Ohio, the birthplace of President Lorenzo Snow.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mantua Township, Ohio.|