Manu Feildel at GQ Men of the Year Award 2011
Manu Feildel (born 1974) is a French celebrity chef, living in Australia, most widely known for his participation in Australia's cookery competition programs Ready Steady Cook, MasterChef Australia and My Kitchen Rules although he also achieved a solid reputation as a head chef at the restaurant Bilson's before moving to open his own restaurant, Manu at L'Étoile, in 2009. He also participated in, and won, Dancing with the Stars 2011.
In spite of a history of professional chefs in his family, including his father and a grandfather, Feildel initially considered a career in the circus before becoming an apprentice at the age of 15 in his father's school. Though he did not speak English at the time, he moved to London and took a position at the Café Royal, serving subsequently at Les Associes, the Cafe des Amis du Vin and popular seafood restaurant Livebait. Relocating to Australia in 1999, he worked at a number of restaurants for several years before opening the kitchen as head chef at Bilson's on invitation of its owner, offering contemporary French cuisine. According to The Sydney Morning Herald, he was a key factor in Bilson's "three-hat success". The Daily Telegraph indicates that it is for his service at this "exceptional fine diner" that he has fame among food lovers.
Feildel began appearing on Ready Steady Cook in 2005 and on MasterChef Australia in 2009 and has co-hosted My Kitchen Rules since 2010. Also in 2009, Feildel left Bilson's and opened his own French bistro, Manu at L'Étoile.
In 2010 he was the celebrity contestant in the first episode of the Australian version of Beat The Star. He lost 26–10.
Feildel won the 2011 series of Dancing with the Stars and appeared at the 2011 Good Food & Wine Show. He was also nominated for the Most Popular New Male Talent at the Logie Awards of 2011. He hosted the reality dating series Dinner Date in 2011.
Feildel and his partner separated after 12 years together during 2009. They have one child together.
- Thomsen, Simon (11 May 2009). "L'Etoile". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 10 June 2009.
- Merryment, Elizabeth (24 May 2009). "Mano Manu, a master chef". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 10 June 2009.
- Rowe, Michelle (2 May 2009). "Tetsuya's chef teams up with a stellar cast in new Sydney restaurant". The Australian. Retrieved 10 June 2009.[dead link]
- "Chef Manu Feildel wins Dancing trophy". Sydney Morning Herald. 10 July 2011. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- "Manu Feildel". Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- Mitchell, Thomas (5 April 2011). "Ratings: Manu's kitchen rules!". tvweek.ninemsn.com.au. Retrieved 6 April 2011.
- Out of the kitchen and into the heat. Sydney Morning Herald 11 March 2013 | Retrieved 7 April 2013
- Camp Quality | Retrieved 7 April 2013
- My son is very proud of me. The search begins. digital spy | Retrieved 7 April 2013