|Manu [Emmanuel] Feildel|
Manu Feildel at GQ Men of the Year Award 2011
Manu Feildel (born Emmanuel Feildel in 1974) is a French chef, living in Australia, most widely known for his participation in Australia's cookery competition programs Ready Steady Cook, MasterChef Australia and My Kitchen Rules (MKR). He also achieved a solid reputation as a head chef at the restaurant Bilson's before moving to open his own restaurant, Manu at L'Étoile, in 2009. The restaurant closed in March 2014, when it became unprofitable.
In spite of a history of professional chefs in his family, including his father and a grandfather, Feildel decided to join a circus school at age 13 and learnt juggling, unicycling, clowning and some acrobatics. He stayed for three years and then decided that cooking was his first love and moved to London where he studied at the Cafe Royal restaurant. He then worked at Les Associes, the Cafe des Amis du Vin and popular seafood restaurant Livebait. Relocating to Australia in 1999, he worked at a number of restaurants for several years before opening the kitchen as head chef at Bilson's on invitation of its owner, offering contemporary French cuisine. According to The Sydney Morning Herald, he was a key factor in Bilson's "three-hat success". The Daily Telegraph indicates that it is for his service at this "exceptional fine diner" that he has fame among food lovers.
Feildel began appearing on Ready Steady Cook in 2005 and on MasterChef Australia in 2009 and has co-hosted My Kitchen Rules since 2010. Also in 2009, Feildel left Bilson's and opened his own French bistro, Manu at L'Étoile. However, Manu at L'Etoile closed in March 2014, with Feildel citing a "nightmare year" with too much happening including his My Kitchen Rules commitments and increased competition that had hurt his business, meaning he could no longer afford to stay open.
In 2010 he was the celebrity contestant in the first episode of the Australian version of Beat the Star. He lost 26–10.
Feildel won the 2011 series of Dancing with the Stars and appeared at the 2011 Good Food & Wine Show. He was also nominated for the Most Popular New Male Talent at the Logie Awards of 2011. He hosted the reality dating series Dinner Date in 2011.
In April 2014, Feildel hosted a two-part travel-cooking documentary entitled My France With Manu which follows Feildel travelling through western France, highlighting the local food, scenery and his memories of France. The show originally screened on the Seven Network.
Feildel and his partner separated after 12 years together during 2009. They have one child together. Feildel became engaged to jewellery store manager Clarissa Weerasena in November 2013. It has been rumored that the pair were married in a private ceremony in Malaysia in February 2014.
- Lyons, Kate (16 March 2014). "'You're never there': Manu admits he was forced to close Sydney restaurant L'Etoile because he was too busy with MKR commitments". Mail Online. Associated Newspapers Ltd. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "Chef Manu Feildel wins Dancing trophy". Sydney Morning Herald. 10 July 2011. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- Dale, David (6 April 2014). "My Kitchen Rules judge Manu Feildel takes viewers travelling in My France with Manu". The Age. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
- Thomsen, Simon (11 May 2009). "L'Etoile". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 10 June 2009.
- Merryment, Elizabeth (24 May 2009). "Mano Manu, a master chef". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 10 June 2009.
- Rowe, Michelle (2 May 2009). "Tetsuya's chef teams up with a stellar cast in new Sydney restaurant". The Australian. Retrieved 10 June 2009.[dead link]
- "Manu Feildel". Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- Mitchell, Thomas (5 April 2011). "Ratings: Manu's kitchen rules!". tvweek.ninemsn.com.au. Retrieved 6 April 2011.
- "Rival TV chefs Manu Feildel and George Calombaris join forces for Melbourne restaurant, Le Grand Cirque". news.com.au. News Ltd. 15 March 2014. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
- Out of the kitchen and into the heat. Sydney Morning Herald 11 March 2013 | Retrieved 7 April 2013
- Camp Quality | Retrieved 7 April 2013
- My son is very proud of me. The search begins. digital spy | Retrieved 7 April 2013
- "My Kitchen Rules judge Manu Feildel engaged to girlfriend Clarissa Weerasena". News.com.au. 11 November 2013. Retrieved 23 March 2014.