Manuel Alejandro (born 1933), is a Spanish composer of Latin love songs, which are better known as ballads. He has written, composed, and arranged songs for the likes of Luis Miguel, Plácido Domingo, Julio Iglesias.Raphael, Hernaldo Zúñiga, José José, José Luis Rodríguez, Emmanuel, Enrique Guzmán, Isabel Pantoja, Rocío Jurado, Rudy Marquez, and Jeanette, among many others.
Manuel Alejandro was born in 1933 in Jerez de la Frontera–Cádiz. He is the son of one of Spain's most renowned contemporary symphonists, Germán Álvarez Beigbeder. It was his father, an accomplished musician, professor, and composer, who inspired Manuel Alejandro to pursue music and become a composer.
Hits of the 60
He started writing songs for Spanish singer Raphael during the 1960s. Many of those songs are now considered classics. The list includes such hits as:
- "Yo Soy Aquel"
- "Primavera en Otoño"
- "Desde Aquel Día"
- "Cuando Tu No Estas"
- "Cierro Mis Ojos"
- "Hablemos Del Amor"
- "Amor Mio"
- "Digan Lo Que Digan"
- "Estar Enamorado"
- "Como Yo Te Amo"
Hits of the 1970s and '80s
He continued writing a few songs during the 1970s, but reached his peak in the early 1980s with the release of consecutive albums with songs performed by different international artists. A whole generation grew up listening to songs written by him, although not many knew he was the man behind those hits.
His repertoire of more than 500 songs includes:
- "Chabuca Limeña" by Raphael (tribute to Peruvian singer Chabuca Granda)
- "En Carne Viva", by Raphael
- "Que Sabe Nadie", by Raphael
- "Enamorado De La Vida", by Raphael
- "Provocación", by Raphael
- "Andando de tu Mano", by Enrique Guzmán & Hilda Aguirre
- "Lo Dudo", by José José
- "He Renunciado A Ti", by José José
- "Amar Y Querer", by José José
- "Lagrimas" by José José
- "Procuro Olvidarte", by Hernaldo Zúñiga
- "Insoportablemente Bella", by Emmanuel
- "Ven Con El Alma Desnuda", by Emmanuel
- "Este Amor Es Un Sueño De Locos", by José Luis Rodríguez "El Puma"
- "Dueño De Nada", by José Luis Rodríguez "El Puma"
- "Todo Se Derrumbó", by Emmanuel
- "Quiero Dormir Cansado", by Emmanuel
- "Pobre Diablo", by Emmanuel
- "Soy Rebelde", by Jeanette & Iris Chacón
- "Corazón de Poeta", by Jeanette
- "Frente a Frente", by Jeanette
- "Ese Hombre", by Rocío Jurado
- "Señora", by Rocío Jurado
- "Lo Siento Mi Amor", by Rocío Jurado
- "Ayúdame A Pasar La Noche", by Angélica María
- "Manuela", by Julio Iglesias
- "Si Te Perdiera", by Luis Miguel
- "Un Hombre Solo" by Julio Iglesias
- "Lo Mejor de Tu Vida" by Julio Iglesias
He has seven children: Javier, Carlos and Patricia with his first wife and Sandra, Beatriz, Marian and Viviana with his second wife.
- del Amo, Carlos (20 April 1999). "Manuel Alejandro : Naci Con La Habilidad De Conectar Dos Palabras Con Una Melodia" (Subscription required). Efe News Services (in Spanish). Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- de Miguel, Maurilio (1 April 2008). "Tres décadas poniendo la letra: Manuel Alejandro, galardonado por su trayectoria en los Premios de la Música". El Mundo, archived at LexisNexis (in Spanish). Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- Staff (22 May 1987). "International Superstar Pours 'Ancestral Energies' Into Latest Album" (Subscription required). Associated Press, archived at LexisNexis. Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- Infusino, Divina (30 August 1991). "Jose Jose is the Sinatra of Mexico" (Subscription required). The San Diego Union-Tribune, archived at LexisNexis. Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- Staff (30 November 1991). "Pro Audio" (Subscription required). Billboard, archived at LexisNexis. Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- Staff (23 May 1995). "Emmanuel gains poetic rewards" (Subscription required). Austin American-Statesman, archived at LexisNexis. Retrieved 4 August 2010.