Manuel D. Medina
|Manuel D. Medina|
|Former Chairman of the Board, President, CEO at Terremark Worldwide|
|Alma mater||Florida Atlantic University, Bachelor of Science Degree in 1974|
Medina was born in Matanzas, Cuba, and left in 1965, when he was 13. His parents left Cuba because of the strong political changes in the country; they came to Miami and Manny Medina went to school there and took his first interest in business. He graduated from Florida Atlantic University with a degree in accounting.
Medina earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from Florida Atlantic University in 1974.
Medina, was the Chairman of the Board, President, CEO of Terremark. He also holds the position of Chairman and CEO of Medina Capital Partners, an investment firm focused on funding technology companies with innovative products that serve the private and public sectors. Medina has more than 30 years of experience as a highly successful businessman with expertise in areas including technology, finance, international business, and government contracting.
In his early career, Medina, worked as certified public accountant, with Price Waterhouse after earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from Florida Atlantic University in 1974. Later, in 1980, he started his own company, Terremark, and served as Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer until 2011, when the company was acquired by Verizon Communications for $1.4billion, out of which he would receive about $83 million from his 4.4 million shares, almost 7 percent of the company.
In addition, Mr. Medina is a managing partner of Communication Investors Group, one of their investors.
- Hemlock, Doreen. "Top Miami entrepreneur plans annual tech conference in push to make South Florida a tech hub". SunSentinel. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- "Long Road From Cuba: Manny Medina, CEO of Terremark". Sramana Mitra's One Million by One Million Blog. Oct 28, 2009. Archived from the original on 10 May 2013.
- Rusli, Evelyn M. (January 29, 2011). "Verizon to Buy Terremark for $1.4 Billion". New York Times.
- Carey, Bridget (January 28, 2011). "Verizon to buy Miami-based Terremark". Miami Herald. Archived from the original on 10 May 2013.
- Interview with Manny Medina in 7 parts