Manuel Isaías López
Manuel Isaias Lopez, MD is a prominent child psychiatrist, trained in Philadelphia, who currently lives and practices in New York City. He founded the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry subspecialty program at National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) in 1972. He also founded and was the first president of AMPI (Asociación Mexicana de Psiquiatría Infantil) in 1975. He was the training director of the only Child and Adolescent Psychiatry training program in Mexico, at UNAM, from 1972 until 1998. In the last quarter of the twentieth century, he was considered the most influential psychiatrist on the Mexican scene. In the early eighties, he was simultaneously president of the Mexican Psychoanalytic Association, Director of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at UNAM, Secretary General of the Mexican Board of Psychiatry, and Main Consultant to the Desarrollo Integral de la Familia (DIF) system. His later contributions have been in Bioethics, and he has evolved into a researcher within the field and an International Psychoanalytic Association officer. He lived and practiced from 2009 to 2013 in Barcelona, Spain. His most recent book, "Ética en Psiquiatría, Psicoanálisis y Psicoterapia" ("Ethics in Psychiatry, Psychoanalysis, and Psychotherapy") was published and distributed by Palibrio Publishers in May of 2013.
Mann de Dayán describes the "Sensory Oversaturation Syndrome" as Isaias Lopez's main contribution to the psychodynamics of adolescence. According to this phenomenon, the adolescent manages to move away from his own narcissistic needs by overstimulating himself, as a first step before he projects his needs to outside sources.
- A Preview of his latest book "Ética en Psiquiatría, Psicoanálisis y Psicoterapia"
- The chapter Manuel Isaias Lopez wrote, with Martha Tarasco, MD, on the Relationship Between Doctor and Patient, at the "Encyclopedia of Bioethics"
- A list of his publications at the Mexican Psychoanalytic Association Web site
- A description of one of the books from the series "Caminos del Desarrollo", written with other child psychiatrists
- A description of a Bioethics Textbook where he was a major contributor
- Complete Google version of the first edistion of his book "La Encrucijada en la Adolescencia"