Manuel Lima FRSA (born May 3, 1978) is a Portuguese-born designer, author, lecturer, and researcher. WIRED describes Lima as “the man who turns data into art”  while Creativity magazine considers Lima “the Edward Tufte of the 21st Century". He is a leading voice on information visualization and the founder of VisualComplexity.com - A visual exploration on mapping complex networks. His latest book Visual Complexity: Mapping Patterns of Information has been translated into Japanese, Chinese and French. He currently resides in New York City.
Lima has a BFA degree in Industrial Design from the Faculty of Architecture at Technical University of Lisbon and a MFA in Design and Technology from Parsons School of Design. During his MFA program Lima worked for Siemens Corporate Research Center, the American Museum of Moving Image and Parsons Institute for Information Mapping.
Lima has worked as a senior Interaction Designer for Danish design studio Kontrapunkt, advertising agency R/GA, mobile phone maker Nokia, and Microsoft Bing. He currently works for Codecademy as Design Lead.
Lima is an active and prolific speaker who has lectured in dozens of schools, conferences, and festivals around the world on the topic of data and network visualization. Among these venues are TED Global, Lift, Ars Electronica, OFFF, Eyeo, Reboot, VizThink, IxDA Interaction, Royal Society of Arts, New York Public Library, TEDx Buenos Aires, Harvard, MIT, Royal College of Art, Open University, NYU Tisch School of the Arts, Northeastern University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, ENSAD Paris, University of Amsterdam, MediaLab Prado Madrid, Sheffield School of Architecture, Technical University of Lisbon.
- The Book of Trees: Visualizing Branches of Knowledge (2014) ISBN 978-1-616-89218-0
- Visual Complexity: Mapping Patterns of Information (2011) ISBN 978-1-568-98936-5
- Blogviz (2009) ISBN 978-3-639-20902-0
- "The man who turns data into art". Wired. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "The 2009 Creativity 50: Manuel Lima". Creativity magazine. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "The 21 Heroes of Data Visualization: Manuel Lima". BusinessWeek. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "When it comes to making data sexy, you can't be too graphic". CNN. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "Information Beautification". Creativity magazine. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Information Visualization: Cartography for the 21st Century". Forbes. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Manuel Lima's Official Web Site.
- Manuel Lima's List of Talks.
- Wikipedia projects in VisualComplexity.com
- Interview with Manuel Lima for MAS Context
- BrainPickings - Review of Visual Complexity: Mapping Patterns of Information.
- We Make Money Not Art - Review of Visual Complexity: Mapping Patterns of Information.
- The Power of Networks. Talk given at the Royal Society of Arts (RSA), London, December 8, 2011.
- RSA Animate - The Power of Networks. Animated version of the original RSA Talk.
- TEDx Buenos Aires. TEDx Buenos Aires, September, 2011.
- The Big Picture. Talk given at Ars Electronica, Linz, Austria, August, 2012.
- Manuel Lima - Visual Complexity. Interview for Digup.tv.